Zorin OS Lite 32bit CD insallation failed... 'The ext4 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed'

I have an old "GERICOM Phantom XXL 3180" laptop and it has half a gig of ram, about 80GB of storage and an old AMD Sempron prosessor ("ATI Radeon Express 200m, up to 128 MB PCI Express")

It had Windows XP on it, but I wanted to put Zorin OS Lite on it, just to get a supported system and to make it faster. (I also tried "Xubuntu and Lubuntu, but I got the same problem)

Every thing semes to be working perfectly, till it has got to the end where it just says "The ext4 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed"

The Laptop doesn't support USB booting, but I tried using "PLoP" to boot from USB, witch worked great and was much faster, but instead of showing this error, it just crashed.

I tried deleting all partitions with GParted and letting the OS create the file system, but I still got this message

The burned DVD has a working iso burned on it. I know that because I let Zorin check it.

Another thing that was happening (I don't think it has to do with my problem though) is that I couldn't connect to the internet.. it would just say "Disconnected: You are now offline" and not connect.

I really hope you could help me out guys

Thanks a lot!

Seems like secure boot needs disabling: boot - Fixing "The ext4 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI5 (0,0,0) (sda) failed - Ask Ubuntu

More on that here: USB boot install

1 Like

This could be a problem. Any chance of increasing amount of RAM on that machine?

1 Like

As old as that is it is more than possible that the hard drive has had enough.

It should support up to 2gb of ram if you can find sticks for it.

The Laptop doesn't support USB booting, but I tried using "PLoP" to boot from USB, witch worked great and was much faster, but instead of showing this error, it just crashed.
It should support up to 2gb of ram if you can find sticks for it.

It's a Laptop so I don't think so

I also tried Xubuntu and Lubuntu witch need less ram and it still didn't work.. Should I try booting Lubuntu with PLoP?

What was the result of this earlier advice from @carmar ?

It was not an option in the bios

1 Like

I have an update...

I tries installing Lubuntu with a USB stick using PLoP and the laptop didn't crash... It still showed me the errir though, but it was a little different... This time I made the partitions my self (root, swap and /home) and it didn't give me the error because it couldn't create the filesystem on root but on /home... so Partition #3