Zorin Os lite Can’t Change Screen Resolution its Fixed in (1024x768)

The trouble is that the drivers are installed - they are not working correctly.

We could try the grub parameter i915.force_probe=4555 to try forcing the i915 driver to probe.

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Arrow key down to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
Add the parameter so it looks exactly like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.force_probe=4555"

Tap ctrl+o to overwrite, then enter to save current configuration. Close the text editor with ctrl+x
Now you must run

sudo update-grub

Reboot... test by opening your display settings and seeing if you can change resolution normally.

before i try this i was checking the link you sent being:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Intel_graphics#OpenGL_2.1_with_i915_driver

This talks about gen 3 processors and the processor i have is gen4 the Intel Celeron N2830.

I also saw that it uses mesa version 3.0 21.2.6. And it uses the X.Org Foundation as the vendor running version 1.20.13. I found this out using hardinfo.

The weird thing that i see is that under monitors it shows completely different pixels and i am somewhat confused as to why it shows that.

It says monitor 0: 1229x922 pixels
Monitor 1: 1366x768 pixels.

Do you maybe think its something else?

Part of my trouble is that I focus on one best bet at a time.

I see should i try it still and let you know what happens?

Yes - If we try one thing at a time, we stay organized and we are following one straight step at a time. If it needs undoing, we undo the Last Step.
But... If we change directions midway through, we can lose track of what the last step was; not be sure if something that needed undoing was undone and so on.
It can create confusion and further problems. And... this still happens in threads on this forum and is happening in a current thread elsewhere that I am trying to be helpful in...

Ahh I see no worries let me do that and ill let you know what happens

Yea same thing no changes

Let's undo that last step...
And research this further. I am at a loss.

Goofy as it may be in the meantime - you might check the cable connecting the monitor. Yes, it may work on Windows but balk on Linux. Strange things.

It is now about 2am here and time for me to fall into a coma.

alright i should just remove the text i added in the last step?

Yes, restore it to just "quiet splash".

A quick recap:
We have tried checking your driver (Included in kernel) and changing the kernel to an earlier version. As you are on a gen 4, it is highly unlikely that a higher kernel is needed, even as you have already tested recent kernels on Zorin OS before the rollback.
You have Mesa Installed and are not using Nvidia. And using a VGA cable.

The primary way of addressing this is with --newmode and addmode using xrandr.
However, you get an error:

This is our sticking point.

Yes, I am sure its maybe the vga cable drivers because i used another vga cable and it worked the same stuck at that resolution. I have also tried using a hdmi cable and it worked as expected and the monitor was a 27" dell monitor using hdmi and it went to 1080p without any issues and i could change it so im assuming it could maybe be the vga cable drivers? or the drivers responsible for the vga cable. Not sure.

I am thinking it can be the X.org foundation drivers as its at 1.20.13. Or the VGA Controller or the intel graphics driver. Again not sure but what do you think and do you maybe want to get some additional info about my laptop to solve this issue?

1 Like

Yes, this definitely narrows it to VGA.

I just ran a very interesting command just now. So i was searching and came across this topic on the ubuntu forum

And after running vulkaninfo and downloading it as a html file this is what i got in my terminal after running

vulkaninfo --html 
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_radeon.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_lvp.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_intel.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_radeon.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_lvp.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libvulkan_intel.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
MESA-INTEL: warning: Bay Trail Vulkan support is incomplete
MESA-INTEL: warning: Bay Trail Vulkan support is incomplete
WARNING: lavapipe is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.

So i assume its the drivers as the driver support is "incomplete" not too sure what that means.

Yes, though this is unrelated to your issue.
I would get the same. Vulkan is still a work in progress on Linux.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.