Zorin os Lite worst gaming performance

i have this issue always when i install zorin os light it is faster than windows but the gaming performance is worst, the last time it was updating the kernel that fixed the issue for this time i dont know if it is the same solutionif so what kernel version should i update to?
is their any other thing i can do to improve gaming performance?
here is my system:
neofetch
osssssssssssssssssssso zorin@zorin
.osssssssssssssssssssssso. -----------
.+oooooooooooooooooooooooo+. OS: Zorin OS 16.3 x86_64
Host: VivoBook_ASUSLaptop E410MAB_L4
Kernel: 5.15.0-78-generic
::::::::::::::::::::::. .: Uptime: 15 mins
+ssssssssssssssssss+:. .:+ssso Packages: 1944 (dpkg), 12 (flatpak)
.ossssssssssssssso/. -+ossssssso. Shell: bash 5.0.17 ssssssssssssso/- -/osssssssssssss Resolution: 1920x1080 .ossssssso/- .-/ossssssssssssssso. DE: Xfce
+sss+:. .:+ssssssssssssssssss+ WM: Xfwm4 :. .:::::::::::::::::::::: WM Theme: ZorinBlue-Light Theme: ZorinBlue-Light [GTK2/3] Icons: ZorinBlue-Light [GTK2/3] .+oooooooooooooooooooooooo+. Terminal: xfce4-terminal -osssssssssssssssssssssso- Terminal Font: JetBrains Mono 10 osssssssssssssssssssso` CPU: Intel Celeron N4020 (2) @ 2.800
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 605

this is zorin os light btw
thanks i appreciate it

I don't think playing games comfortably with your PC.

4 Likes

I agree with @Hackgets . That's no gaming rig, more an office rig.

3 Likes

Have an N4020 myself - nothing impressive, lite work, general use, etc.. I did have some older Wine games installed - Warcraft 3, Rogue Spear, Diablo 1/2/LOD, and some others. Though it played those very well, I'm not so sure about newer games. I did play Xonotic in the Software store - ran very well-ish, dialed back. Also had to install Intel OpenCL to get 60fps and better performance. Other than that - it's kinda capped at what you can squeeze out of it.

I didn't see any RAM spec in neofetch - if you're able to, definitely increase or max the capability of the mobo. With RAM, more is always more better :laughing: I've only got 4GB with the N4020 setup I have - soldered in.. can't change it, unless I reaaaaally wanted to haha

But, much agreed - definitely not a gaming setup.. Not hating! Don't take that the wrong way, absolutely not hating on what you're using.

2 Likes

It would be good to know which games OP have tried.

1 Like

I can confirm that intel hd graphics performance on Linux is waaaay worse than on Windows. I have a laptop with intel hd gpu - on Linux i can't play anything beside games like Xonotic, while on Windows it can easily pull off more modern games. For Linux gaming on integrated gpus - only Ryzen AMD chipsets will perform fine (cause AMD makes good open source drivers in later kernels).

2 Likes

Agreed. If you want serious gaming on Linux or computer generally, AMD/Nvidia cards are the way forward.

1 Like

i am only playing basic games. and the issue is that it is slower than windows

ok but that doesen't explain why it is slower than windows on even basic games. i aint trying to play rocket league

Its slower than Windows because of 2 reasons:

1. Games are made for Windows (they run in compatibility layer that take away some performance on LInux).
  2. Intel gpu driver on Linux is not as optimized as it's on Windows, usually performance difference in games around 50% less frames per second. Unlike Nvidia or AMD they are similiar in performance to Windows, maybe 10 fps less, but nothing too critical.
1 Like

You could try running the game via gamemode

Do you have clinfo installed? If so, what's the output on your card?

If you don't have anything that starts like:

Number of platforms                               2
  Platform Name                                   Intel(R) OpenCL HD Graphics
  Platform Vendor                                 Intel(R) Corporation
  Platform Version                                OpenCL 2.1 
  Platform Profile                                FULL_PROFILE

Then you probably need OpenCL. All my older games didn't play well without that. Can't say for new games as none were mentioned.. package: intel-opencl-icd

What frames/sec are you running, btw? You might also need to install the non-free version for your chipset (Tiger Lake, Kaby Lake, Gemini Lake, etc) - was able to run 60fps after install. Mine is an 11th gen series, Tiger Lake. I had to install not only the OpenCL stuff but also using the non-free on my other Apollo Lake series setup; Celeron N4020 with a UHD 600. Needed OpenCL for both, non-free for one.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.