Zorin OS not working with integrated Alder Lake GPU

I use a PC with the integrated graphics of an i5-12400, but unfortunately when I try to install it, I only get a black screen after selecting "Try or install Zorin OS". The option with safe graphics works, though after installation I cannot boot the system. It would require me to edit the boot parameters and add nomodeset which is of course not useful in production use.

Can you please clarify what you mean in this statement? I am not sure I understand and it is a lot easier to try to be helpful if I have a reasonable understanding of the situation.

nomodeset is a kernel parameter which can be added (e.g. after quiet splash) by editing the configuration file of the grub boot loader by pressing the [e] button.

In that case, booting is possible - however, this will restrict me to 1024x768 which is not really useful. I assume that the same parameter is added when using the safe graphics option of the installer.

Ah that makes things clearer.

You can try removing the splash parameter entirely and see if that works (It does the trick for some.)

You can try nomodeset in combination with GRUB_GFXMODE= with the preferred resolution and refresh after the (=) sign. You may need to add GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep parameter as well on some devices.

1 Like

Alright, let me try that out. Can I already set this parameters in the installer? Because I will do a new installation.

1 Like

I am not actually sure... but since you can boot up and edit Grub, it should be fairly easy to do it that way - and more accurate for testing on a baremetal install.

I was so exhausted and planned a reinstallation, so already deleted it :see_no_evil: But it will not take long time.

Short question: I also noticed that I could not see my second monitor with nomodeset added. Is that normal?

You should be able to use both. More troubleshooting will be needed.

Installation complete. Removing splash didn't work, I only get this:

What hardware are you using?

Also, I get this error before GRUB loads:

specs

That concerns me... To be honest, that looks like corrupted files in Root. That file should be Present.

This unfortunately also didn't work (resolution will be still 1024x768), I used it with nomodeset together:

nano /etc/default/grub
GRUB_GFXMODE=2560x1440x60
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
update-grub

For me it looks that Alder Lake GPUs are not really compatible with Linux :frowning:

About the missing file error message: Could it be because the partition is encrypted? GRUB though didn't complain about, so I wonder how that could be a problem. The file should be stored on the /boot partition, or not?

The file checks in the installation all passed, no errors.

According to Intel Alder Lake Ubuntu 22.04 LTS OS Users Should Consider a Kernel Update | Tom's Hardware, a 5.16 or better kernel begins to provide support for Alder Lake Processors. This would be an instance of using the Ubuntu mainline repository because of hardware, which is a necessity. You can install Zorin, press shift to enter advanced and select terminal with networking. Then you can add the repository and install a newer kernel. Once done, reboot to the newer kernel.

While you can install the firmware alone, this is an easier route.

1 Like

Interesting! Can I install the newer kernel also if already installed or would you recommend a new installation? Which repository would I be required to add?

I'll find you the link to the guide. You can use what you have installed.

Recommendation: READ THROUGH THE ENTIRE PROCESS PRIOR TO IMPLEMENTING. You won't have to add the jammy repo if you aren't going to a 6+ kernel.

Try only a few versions above the current kernel first....5.16, 5.17, 5.18, prior to trying 6+.

Thank you, I'll try that :hugs:

Does it make more sense to start from reverse, so 5.19, 5.18, ... instead of 5.16, 5.17 ... ?

I understand your idea, the point is to go only as high as you need for the support of your hardware. The further away from the current kernel, the better chance that certain configuration files from the Zorin devs won't be in use and you lose the benefits, possibly even break your system.

While newer can be better, more bugs may have been introduced, parts of the system may be broken, some improvements may be introduced, but the opposite is also possible.

I see, makes sense. I now tried 5.16 but it seems it wants libssl3 and libc6 >= 2.34.

Then add the library from jammy, but do not update and upgrade while that library is in your source list. Only install that library.

1 Like

EDIT: Wait, seems I need to remove the (unsuccessful?) installed kernel 5.16 first.

It seems the tutorial doesn't work any more. Installing libssl3 fails with following error:

root@office:~# apt install libssl3
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libssl3 : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.34) but 2.31-0ubuntu9.9 is to be installed
 linux-headers-5.16.20-051620-generic : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.34) but 2.31-0ubuntu9.9 is to be installed

Then use the command sudo apt install libc6 libssl3