Zorin OS offer standard KDE Plasma desktop? (POLL)

As I said I'm very involved with FLOSS politically and for enthusiasm and as a hobby.

1 Like

Well, then, I would expect you to understand and be very able to answer about what LibAdwaita is, what it does and what it means for Free Open Source.
I imagine, that your comments about Gnome should be easy to support given your Political activism, instead of Dodged at every Step.

1 Like

IDK, I consider this fairly badfaith

But as it's licensed with LGPL-2.1+ it's considered by every definition real actual FLOSS. You are able change it, make additions to it, fork it and distribute it. Nowhere in the principles it is laid out that they have to provide any standards of customization tools as part of the functionality of the software or that it should work this and that or that it should build up branding and graphical diversity.

Four essential freedoms of Free Software

To meet the definition of "free software", the FSF requires the software's licensing respect the civil liberties / human rights of what the FSF calls the software user's "Four Essential Freedoms".

• The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
  • The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
  • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).
  • The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

But you are free to try to change my mind around that

That is what it is all about. Securing Gnome as a Brand Image.
You say they can fork it, like it is that easy... So Gnome did a Microsoft Secure Boot move requiring all other desktops and distros to Get Gnomes Sign-off Approval in order to configure their desktop... And you think this is OK? That I need to convince you otherwise?

In so doing, even if other distributors fork it, they now have a Bunch of Extra Work dumped onto them by Gnomes machinations.
No wonder Gnome has repeatedly sought how to leave the Gnu Licensing.

I am quite confident we could argue until the last star dies and get nowhere.

1 Like

I feel like it's you that are arguing me until the stars fall down right now though

My position is that I dislike that the changes Gnome is doing does not affect just Gnome but us all, even if we do not use Gnome.
Yes, I am passionate about this.

I fully support Gnome Desktop for you and all who enjoy it; I do not support being forced onto Gnome Desktop through the tying of everyones hands through these Gnome Changes. Even if it is technically within the "rulebook" by citing it as licensed in the only way Gnome is allowed to do so currently, due to their stakeholders - this does not alter the tying of hands in any way, nor that it is a Ploy Move.

Well, let's stop doing so.

I've said my piece, you may say yours if you wish.

1 Like

:+1:

(Post needed 5 characters so here they are)

3 Likes

I've changed my vote!

I think that Zorin should consider offering the Plasma desktop.

What's more they should explore being a distro which distinguishes itself from others. In the long term, it should not be a re-packaged standard distro with a standard desktop plus a few tweaks.

1 Like

Ohhhh, WOW, that was very unexpected, in other words, I wasn't expecting that at all. That robot in Star Wars Rogue One was a statistical analasys droid, I don't think even he could have predicted that one. :flushed:

2 Likes

You know, you run out to get some more chips & dip and by the time you get back it's over... Dang...

Other than aesthetics, the question I think needs to be addressed should be, with KDE, would Zorin function better, perform quicker, amount of resources, the whole gambit. I appreciate Zorin for what it is, how it works, but mainly stability.
I think the term "Rock Solid" is quite over used. But exactly the correct term in this case. And appeals to me aesthetically. Can the same be said with a KDE version? I also would think there'd be a tremendous amount more post on here asking for fixes. As well as more gripping when someone pays for KDE without having the knowledge of KDE and expects it to be flawless.

What happens to Zorin without Gnome. Would we have just Lite?

I'm leaning more against a KDE version now... sofastrangler, Aravisian, would you like to take this topic up with opposing views...??? Just Kidding, seriously. Although, I got chips & dip...

1 Like

I have to confess that I am allergic to KDE desktop and Arch based OSs.
I cannot explain why but they always seem to go against my intuition...

2 Likes

Agreed. KDE seems extremely counter-intuitive to me, as well. Files are placed in places they shouldn't, things are scattered instead of organized.
I am very supportive of KDE as a project, but as a user, I find it mind-boggling.
One of these days, if Gnome really does severely impact all gtk-based desktops, I may have to learn KDE. It's either that - or go back to Windows which is less controlling than Gnome in certain regards.

2 Likes

I our household we call it German Logic.

I remember this one hotel we stayed in Germany. There was a booklet of the services they offer such as breakfast, restaurant or laundry services, etc.

What startled me was that the items were listed in the Alphabetical order NOT by category.

To make the matter even more complex, the English version was also sorted in the Alphabetical order of Original German.

I highly respect KED developers and their ability to create wonderful apps such as Krita, K3B and Kdenlive to name a few.

But that desktop, neither my husband (French) not I (Japanese) can take it.

1 Like

The more I think about... I'm going to go with No to a KDE version. Why?
"Stick with what your good at." Some may feel Zorin is better than good, which I would readily agree with.. Keep the status quo.
If someone wants to run Zorin with the KDE environment, they can (and some already do). Experimentation is good. They can even create their own post here in the forum and have fun with it. They'd just have to distinguish (Like we already do with Lite) that it's KDE in the post to keep things less confused.
But people must also realize that it's not up to the Zorin Dev's to fix any
flaws using the two together. Onus is on the user. And I'm sure after a while that niche will fit in nicely on here.
The Dev's should only be focused on what they currently provide. I'd bet they are probably busy with Grid as well. Personally, I think they should solely focus on Lite, but that's me...lol
So no, at this moment I don't believe there should be a Zorin KDE. But if users want to branch it off, maybe create another Category in the Forum, terrific. Kind of wish that was done with Lite to help cause less confusion. Who knows, maybe that experimentation will someday be the foundation of Zorin KDE. Would be cool to see.

2 Likes

kde plasma whas the reason that made me move from zorin, hopefully it will also bring me back in the future

1 Like

I also want to see KDE version in the future :slight_smile:
Gnome as a standard, and Xfce and Kde as lite. One build, 3 options :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would not consider KDE or Cinnamon as Light.
Cinnamon is slightly lighter than Gnome, but heavier than XFCE or LXDE.

KDE seems pretty much as heavy as Gnome.

3 Likes

I agree. But that is the beauty with Linux .

Last few days I am experimenting with KDE. First I installed full KDE , and RAM usage was around 1.5 GB. Than I installed minimal KDE , and now it is 0,7 GB.
And it is fully working with all features :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Linux Experiment just did a review on KDE regarding how good KDE is for new people Is KDE/Plasma User Friendly for beginners, Windows, or macOS Users? - YouTube

It goes through a lot of the faults and qualities of KDE plasma

Personally as explained before I don't think KDE passes the quality bar as a desktop for a flagship distro, although it can be customized and made better. It's a really poor ecosystem to build software around and is more something for experienced linux users to install and set up oneself.

But I thought the video would be interesting for this thread.

Edit:
Current Zorin16 though makes what I think is the most pragmatic and tactical choice with how the linux ecosystem is right now.

3 Likes

You know what that reminds me of that you are describing? ARCH! Everybody I usually hear about people who use ARCH, its Linux experts, many of which are hackers too, and use ARCH for a real challenge. For me, I wouldn't want a challenge like that, ARCH is too much everytime I hear about it.

And besides, once you find a distro you like, like Zorin and POP, why bother with other's once you found what you like. Well, thats my way of thinking for me anyways. Not saying everybody gotta be like me, of course not lol. Just a food for thought point.

If KDE sucks that badly, then I would agree, if its not ready for prime time flagship OS, then its simply not ready, and needs more work. Who knows, maybe someday somebody will pick up KDE and make a distro out of it that is flagship grade.

1 Like