Zorin OS offer standard KDE Plasma desktop? (POLL)

Yeah but 14 is al liiiiitle too...., you know. What if they have a support desk. I guess you would be asking for trouble.

3 Likes

Just like Zorin you go to settings and select themes etc....... and if you go to the site it shows 3 KDE - Dragon , Dragon Gamer, and a Lite version. They have just like Ubuntu and Zorin even a child can do it

2 Likes

Yes, saw their site, looks good. I like the wallpapers, I even flew over their forum. Guess I spoke to soon about the support... they do have em.

With Ubuntu I like to use the command line (a lot), guess that's my problem I really don't know much about Arch. Well I mean I can' find or install certain apps I am used too.

1 Like

Same...I would have loved to try Garuda but Arch is too much for me to take.

1 Like

Yep, my 1TB nvme SSD plate arrived yesterday (1 day too late). Today I installed a triple boot. Zorin16OS, Windows and Windowsfx.

I liked the Windowsfx is uses KDE DE, its very stable, but I removed all the windows apps and installed all that is useful to me.

4 Likes

I have some many computers and laptops plus a couple of tablets ... I run many different scenarios and I know little about any of the systems (but I Learn). most run smaller SSD 256gb and 500gb storage HDs but for playing that's fine. I'll play with Lite XFCE on Zorin, but Gnome will be my got to on Zorin. KDE Plasma for ME is the BEST.

3 Likes

If you're just using them to boot the OS's it's perfect. Even 256GB or 500GB is too much for the usual Linux OS's. But it's nice to see you try the diff. Linux OS's on diff hardware.

I just boot the downloaded iso's from SSD/HDD to see if they are capable to run on this machine, but still it's not the same as the real installation.

Yep I like KDE as well. Once you get the hang of the settings, it isn't hard to adjust. But there are a lot of extra theming you can use.

A different OS that I tried is KaOS Linux comes with only KDE DE looks really nice. I tried the file management, media and networking. But it's Arch, at least the time I tried it.

2 Likes

Yep running live means nothing....Garuda runs AMD well and that was a plus for my AMD system.

1 Like

I guess you will have to troubleshoot a lot getting those diff. OS's match the hardware.
It let's you acquire knowledge of Linux in combination with hardware, really useful for the help around here.

2 Likes

Though why not do like other DE's and have a community edition, where the community, us, make it with the devs help. If later on it's good enough and enough people use it then it can then be officially supported.

I think the 2 Zorin brothers have enough to do as it is.

4 Likes

I run Arch with Kde and it runs like a dream on my 6 year old laptop. If you run true vanilla Arch it is fast, lean and a pleasure to use. Some bloated distro are not true representation of what Arch is.

3 Likes

The main problem with KDE in Ubuntu LTS is that it might have a lot of very noticeable unfixed bugs. Arch users mostly use KDE because if there's a bug it's fixed in a week tops.

Someone who used Kubuntu claimed his desktop crashed when doing certain things, can't remember if it was screenshots or what, but yeah.
Also, when you install KDE, it tends to destroy every theming option you had, I broke my Pop installation from trying out KDE then removing it ungracefully (maybe my fault, though), it took me a day to fix the icons and they were still borked.

2 Likes

MX Linux runs fine KDE Plasma after a few weeks no issues. But I don’t know a distribution or Desktop environment it doesn’t have issues of some sort.

4 Likes

I am using kubuntu for more than 2 weeks and have not faced any crash or severe bug (yet). I face dependency problems with the Qapt installer, which is not as smart as whatever gnome uses. Even that does not bother me because I use the terminal for almost everything (even installing software). The only other thing that does bother me is Dolphin file manager which is a little buggy.

2 Likes

Removing Plasma Desktop or Kubuntu Desktop from Zorin OS really is best performed using Synaptic.
I cannot stress this enough.

Using synaptic will make it much easier to find and remove all the little bits of KDE that get installed. Which makes it much easier to revert back to your previous Desktop layout.

4 Likes

It is..but most of them don't know how. And it is always better and easier to use already preconfigured de

2 Likes

An alternative to xfce would be LXQt - it is the default DE for Devuan 4.0.
So for me it would be KDE and LXQt as the way forward.

My current Devuan KDE Desktop:

Default Devuan desktop (LXQt - which uses KDE libraries so no conflicts):

Just to add my Konqueror browser has not crashed once yet in Devuan 4 and I can undo closed tabs, even after logging out of Plasma and into LXQt! :sunglasses:

1 Like

After 3 months and 65 votes looks like a strong interest in KDE Plasma for the users of Zorin. Would think a strong consideration by The large team of Zorin :roll_eyes: to offer this in the future. And also like many other communities of other OS possible a task taken on by our own Zorin community to offer a version of KDE Plasma. I believe that was a suggestion earlier in the thread.

3 Likes

Yes... I think you worded this perfectly.
The idea is fun to explore. But not so much fun to consider implementation on.
I have no idea how well versed the ZorinGroup is with KDE. And this thread could be an interesting avenue for them; as exploring possibilities can be one of the great things in life.
It also can be a source of great stress.
I prefer to view this thread as a DayDream, not a Roadmap. The ZorinGroup currently has a set pattern that allows them to develop by an efficient or familiar means. Changing that all up with a new D.E. could be like throwing your hard-working seamstress Aunt into the coal mines.

Importantly, @AZorin and @zorink can find this thread useful in an entirely different way - adapting Gnome and XFCE to match some of the functions users have expressed in this thread; a guide if you will, without changing the D.E.

@bubby, you are quite right that Arch and Fedora both offer Community Driven Spins that are not created by the developers and this could be a good route, too.

3 Likes

I wouldn't want to touch Fedora or any Red Hat Spins with a barge pole. Just out of curiosity I tried one of the Fedora thirty something releases and it was awful. You think KDE is awful well Fedora is pants - but I am speaking of my own experience - not even a package manager in sight!

1 Like