Zorin OS on a HP Chromebook 11 G5 EE

Hey guys,
I have 5 HP Chromebooks (HP Chromebook 11 G5 EE), that have reached their EOL date and need a new OS flashed onto them.
We have already removed the write protect screw and have also tried ChromeOS Flex. However, ChromeOS Flex won't work for our needs.
Do you guys think Zorin OS 16 Lite will work on the Chromebooks?

Welcome! :smile:

https://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

I've seen some good things with using Crouton - haven't used it myself so not too sure how it all goes down. But, pretty sure you just replace the Ubuntu installer with Zorin - then just follow the steps to get it installed. I was wanting to do this on a CB I briefly had but ended up not keeping it.

1 Like

Hi,
The Chromebooks that my team wants to install Zorin OS on don't have ChromeOS installed anymore. They are waiting for an operating system to be flashed on them. ChromeOS Flex doesn't have the proper drivers for the hardware in the systems, and ChromeOS Flex also doesn't work for our needs.

Shouldn't be a problem - did you check out the link? Shouldn't need ChromeOS for anything - probably just need ChrUbuntu to complete the installer disk, then do the actual install after changing the BIOS settings --

I haven't installed Ubuntu or Zorin on any Chromebook myself - the one I had was very limited and couldn't in the end (Samsung CB4). But - didn't try Crouton or ChrUbuntu myself.. Just going by the guides - have seen this one being used before.

Yes, I checked out the link. The Chromebooks we plan to install an alternate OS on are currently running MrChromeBoxes' firmware/BIOS. We just need an Operating System to install.

You may want read this page if using crouton. It refers to an unsupported version of xubuntu. GitHub - dnschneid/crouton: Chromium OS Universal Chroot Environment

1 Like

Ok, Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.