Zorin OS on iMac Middle 2011

I'm going to buy an old mid-2011 iMac 27" from a friend after Christmas.

Does anyone have experience with an iMac running under ZorinOS?

Would you rather install Zorin Pro / Core or the Lite version?

I suggest you wait just a few weeks and install Zorin OS 17 Core with the customized GNOME desktop which will be released soon. It is in Beta now. Not sure when the Lite version based on the Xfce desktop is expected to be released. Lite should peform exceptionally well on that machine. It's possible Core too but not sure how much RAM that machine has. The other option might be Mint 21.3 using the Cinnamon desktop, MATE desktop, or Xfce desktop which is also in Beta now and will soon be released.

I've been using Zorin on a 2012 iMac with no issues whatsoever. Well no issues after all of our friendly helpful folks on this forum got me straightened after just a few newbie user-errors. I finally got a new rig this year only because I needed to have a laptop to use for presenting at meetings.

So now the iMac is my experiment and break machine. Other than dumb stuff I do, the machine runs most beautifully with Zorin but it pretty much handles any distro in the Debian universe I throw at it. I am too much of a coward to stray into Arch and others. :slight_smile:

The iMac I'm going to buy is a Core i7" 2.93MHZ, it has 32MB RAM and a 1TB SSD. I think 200 EUR is a fair price for this machine.

It's supposed to be an audio workstation with Ardor, and I've had very good experiences with it under Zorin 16 on an old laptop with 4 MB RAM.

I definitely won't switch to Mint because I don't want to have to spend a lot of time learning a new system. The alternative to Zorin that I see would be an Ubuntu Studio or an AV Linux, because the necessary adjustments have already been made.

However, I don't like Ubuntu because of the Snapt store and AV Linux has too many apps and audio plugins pre-installed that I don't need.

I'm now quite familiar with Zorin and know what I need to pay attention to in order to adapt it for my purposes (WINE in a current version and yabridge to run Windows VST plugins in Ardor.

I hope Zorin 17 comes soon.

Since the iMac has 32 MB of RAM, the Core Pro version should actually run well. I have Core Pro on the old laptop with 4MB RAM and an Intel® Core™ i5-4340M CPU @ 2.90GHz.

I am currently browsing this forum wit Z17 beta using an 2010, 21" iMac, SSD, 12 GB Ram. Runs ok. Its not a rocket, but works ok.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.