Zorin OS Update After Sept 6 '21 kernel 5.11.0-34 Black Screen

What the bloody freaky heck? I mean seriously? Locking kernels from being installed, which are not even currently installed, caused all that business? Hopefully, that don't happen on my OS 16 install.

But now that I think about it, I don't remember clicking on APPLY after setting the packages to lock. If I forgot to click on APPLY, then the changes I might are not really changed.

I still don't get it though, why would software need access to kernel packages which are not even installed on the system? Not a thing about that makes any lick of sense to me.

I sware, some days Linux can be truly a wonderful thing. Other times, it can be a real nightmare.

I am probably not understanding you correctly but here goes . . . are you saying that after the dist-upgrade command everythings is back to normal? That is Synaptic opens in the Application menu, and you can again select Nouveau in Additional Driver. I have been holding back on all updates. BTW, thanks to all of you for finding this and helping me know to avoid this current update.

1 Like

Thats what we are here for! We are here to help in any way that we can. I humbly believe, when knowledge is shared, everyone benefits.

Also, thank you for being a Zorin OS 16 PRO user. Supporting the dev's and getting extra goodies for it, is the way to go! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have been keeping up on all updates, since mine unlocked as well and went ahead with the update from days ago. I also did some more updates today,
again, so far so good, no hangups and pc is rebooting with no glitching at all.

5.11.0-34-generic #36~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 27 08:06:32 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Since the original hangup with the NVIDIA issue, once i re-installed the OS i have not run into the original issue again. < fingers crossed >

1 Like

A few points...

• The 5.11.0-34 kernel issue appears to only affect some Nvidia users. I have been unable to confirm if it affects AMD users or not.
  • It affects all Ubuntu derivitives, including Mint - it is not exclusive to Zorin OS
  • Time has passed since this was first reported - ZorinGroup may have had time to work on it- There is no official word or update on this issue.
  • I Do not recommend avoiding all updates. There have been recent update releases with Security updates and and other software updates.
    This is why the O.P. focuses on only confronting the 5.11.0-34 kernel if you have Nvidia and if you experience problems.
3 Likes

I agree 100%

NEVER avoid all updates, thats setting yourself up for disaster. Only put a lock on future kernels from getting installed, at least until they work out the bugs on them.

Yes to all.
But this morning the system failed to wake up from suspend.
So I am still watching this newer -34 kernel.

You are welcome.
That what the forum is for.
Learning from other people's mistakes and misery :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Changed from General to Tutorial.