Zorin reverted to stock GNOME

Hi, all,

Out of nowhere today, the appearance of Zorin has changed to what I believe is the default GNOME configuration, whereas previously it was running the default Windows-like appearance. I can also not change the appearance back, nor can I set the configuration via the GUI to allow icons on the desktop.

In my efforts to fix this issue, I've updated all the packages on the system, tried reinstalling the Zorin desktop, and upgraded from Zorin Core to Pro. Per another forum post, I also tried updating the mesa-GL drivers. There are two configured user accounts on the system and both are impacted, so it's not a single user profile issue.

Can anyone help?

My issue appears to be identical to this one: Zorin layout not changing - #3 by 0815pascal.

Have you yet tried booting on an Earlier Working kernel from Grub Menu > Advanced Options for Zorin?

I just tried that, and it did not work. I would have been shocked if this was a kernel issue, but I guess you never know.

Reviewing /var/log/syslog, I see some errors which might point the way to the problem:

gnome-shell: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

gnome-session-binary: WARNING: Falling back to non-systemd startup procedure due to error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name "org.freedesktop.systemd1" does not exist

gnome-software: internal error: failed, but no error code: cancelled

Agreed. But since you listed out having tried all the things I would have already suggested...

I'd be shocked if MESA did it.

What about

mv ~/.config ~/.config-bk

Log out and in and test...

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.