Zorin - rpm or deb?

I'm installing a Brother printer, went to Brother's site and need to select between rpm or deb as (Linux) OS. (gut tells me its deb. but want to confirm that before making choice) Thanks!

It would be .deb packages.

The .rpm packages are for Arch Linux and Arch-based distros.
However, if you find yourself in a bind and need a package wrapped as an .rpm, you can use alien to convert the package to a .deb.

sudo apt install alien

alien (package-name)

You can use the -k parameter to keep the version number:

alien -k (package-name)

3 Likes

I thought Arch

Although it was created for use in Red Hat Linux, RPM is now used in many Linux distributions such as PCLinuxOS, Fedora, AlmaLinux, CentOS, openSUSE, OpenMandriva and Oracle Linux. It has also been ported to some other operating systems, such as Novell NetWare (as of version 6.5 SP3), IBM's AIX (as of version 4),[7] IBM i,[8] and ArcaOS.[9]

Maybe? I dunno. Some other Linxy thing.

1 Like

.rpm is package for Fedora/redhat based distros.

1 Like

rpm stands for redhat package manager, deb stands for debian package manager.
If there is a redhat package that does not have a .deb file you can use a bash command, 'alien' - but you have to install the package 'alien' first.
Example:

sudo alien xxxxx.rpm

Conversely, if you are running an rpm distro like SuSE Linux, and you want a .deb package installed, you use the bash command of 'worm' after installing the 'worm' package.

su worm xxxxx.deb

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.