Zorin Starting Problem

After the large update of a few days ago sometimes Zorin will not open ..... I get the splash screen .... the blinking Z icon and the Zorin but after that either a white cursor in the left hand upper corner which either blinks or does nothing .....

Sometimes I also get the Log-in which I assume is from grub in the same corner in tine little text ..... after my user name and password have been typed in I get messages but then nothing and no way to continue with out a hard shutdown ..... which by the way I have to do several times before I can finally get the normal sign-in page to appear ...... here are several photos of what I'm seeing ....

I dual boot on a separate drive with Win 10 and have no problem connecting to it at all .... it just pops right up and sometimes Zorin will do that also and sometimes I have to do 3-4 hard shutdowns for it to display the normal log-in screen .....

1 Like

Ooooops posted the same one twice ..... this is the first one I received ...... I give up ..... they all look the same now ..... by the way I did try the ........ sudo pro status ...... but it said pro not found ..... what ever that means ....

Gday Frog, in "Software & Updates" under the TAB "Other software" do you have Canonical Partners selected/checked?
Also should be checked by default in the TAB "Zorin Software".

Added:
If it eventually works via several restarts, you may need to clean the inside of the tower or this maybe a hardware issue starting to evolve.

You may try;

sudo apt install --fix-broken

may help.

3 Likes

Yes it is checked but CP (Source Code) is not .....

This is a LT not a DT ..... not sure how to test for hardware about to go bad ..... but it works when I choose Win 10 to open first in the boot order .....

Tried that but haven't shut down yet ..... will keep you advised ....

Thanks for your help Ocka .... :+1:

2 Likes

Started back up after my nap and Zorin started normally ...... I'll keep my fingers crossed until I restart in the morning ..... :+1: :clap: :smile:

3 Likes

I believe that may be the solution as it started fine this morning .... th e only difference I see is that now before the Zorin log-in screen I get the .... "log-in text" ..... appearing in the top left hand corner in very tiny letters but it closes right away and the normal log-in screen appears allowing me to type in my data .....

But I can live with that ..... maybe the next update will clear that up ....

Thanks again Ocka .... :+1: :clap:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.