Zorin Ultimate

Hi,

As I am looking for alternatives and genuinely getting tired of Microsoft's games with its OS (yes Windows 11 is disgusting), I am considering alternatives.

I would like to know, If I purchase Zorin Ultimate, does this cover me for future upgrades? For example, if I purchase Zorin OS 15.3, will I be able to update to Zorin OS 16 without any future costs and for other versions in the future?

Thanks

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum.

My understanding is that a point version up (15. 0 to 15.2 or 15.3) is free of charge. But a major version up (version 15 to 16) is considered to be a different licence and purchase is required.

I read in this forum that there will be a discount for the current Ultimate users for the new version but have no idea what exactly this discount is.

Many people including myself purchasing Ultimate version in lieu of supporting the Zorin developer.

1 Like

Thanks for the information much appreciated!

Hello:
First of all, welcome to the community.
I congratulate you on your decision. I left Windows for Gnu Linux a few years ago, and I am very happy about it.
Now, in relation to your question, it is necessary to specify that the Ultimate version was created with the purpose of helping to finance the project, since, as you may have noticed, it cannot be compared with the one generated by proprietary software.
Having said that, I understand that, so far, the developers have proposed that all those who own the Ultimate 15 version will be able to upgrade to Ultimate 16 for a lower price. This, however, will take some time, as this option will be available some time after the stable version is released. You may want to install the Core version and wait for Ultimate 16 to be released (it should be released this month).
Regards

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback Alexandros.

In all honesty, I've stayed with Windows only for two reasons :

1. I am a .NET CORE developer and so far Visual Studio has only been available on Windows but that may soon change. Microsoft should stop making their OS, it just sucks.

2. Games. But I am seen hope with projects like PROTON. I hope one day more developers wake up and develop native games.

But both of these are no longer sufficient with me to stay with Windows and tolerate it. Windows 11 is just awful to me. So I may still opt for a dual both option for when I really need Windows 10.

Thanks again for the feedback!

1 Like

very info: alexandros :upside_down_face:

I have been using zorin for some time now after a brief run with elementary os. I decided to try Linux because i started learning development and most tutorials explain how much easier it is on Linux. I can tell you from experience that visual studio code has been on Linux for at least a year and a half, i have it installed on zorin and did on elementary as well. There is a stand alone and snap/flatpak available. It's only a matter of preference. There is support for .NET as well as many other languages that are currently popular (lisp, perl, Java, Javascript, ruby, rust, python and go) with more coming available all the time. I'm a gamer myself and run Steam and csgo without issue. Since i have most of my games in windows, certain ones do not play nice on Linux (crysis 3), but otherwise i don't want to duplicate my software and still use windows for business purposes, so don't switch completely myself.

If that is the only thing keeping you, zorin 16 is faster than windows 10, more efficient and more responsive. Switch, dual boot and keep your games in windows, but you are more than capable of working out of Linux. It's only a matter of choice. If you really need to, you could also emulate windows by vm if necessary to test anything you code outside of the IDE.

Welcome to the community and i hope this has both been informative and helpful.

2 Likes

I also have and use VS Code on Zorin OS. However, Visual Studio itself is not available on Linux, so it may depend on what the user actually needs.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your answers guys. @337harvey , I find myself in the same boat you are. I think I will have to use a dual boot approach myself, at least for a while. I have heard Microsoft is bringing Visual Studio to MACOS and possibly to Linux so technically, I could start developing C# backend apps on Linux fully. At that point, I would only need Windows for gaming and using certain hardware such as my VKB joystick. Really need to ditch my RGB stuff too LOL.. I know I know, that was a mistake. I mean I don't have much but still, there is not software to drive most of that stuff for Linux yet.

I do own a Corsair K95 which I love but there is a Linux application to drive it out there so at least I'll be good for that one.

1 Like