Zorin Updates

This problem is more annoying than anything but would like it solved ..... for a while now I have been excepting and installing ALL Zorin updates with out any problems but this one has taken a turn for the worst .....

Everything appears normal except that these same items keep showing up about every other day ..... I can always tell when because when I do a speed test .... which I do each morning when I connect for the first time .... my download Mbps are about 1/2 of my normal reading ..... upload is fine .....

First it will say in the Application Updates ..... Downloading ..... which it never does even after 2-3 hours while by the way my Mbps is at normal 55-58 Mbps .....

Next time it will say Installing and again never does and the cycle keeps repeating .... I starting just deleting the notification by closing it out but it keeps coming back ..... :sob:

1 Like

Do you have snap and flatpak installed, because I recognize one of those packages as being for those.
If Snap and Flatpak are Not Installed, then those updates will not be offered.

1 Like

Snap no but flatpak yes .... which one looks like a flatpak .....

Here is my flatpak list .....

mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$ flatpak list
Name Application ID Version Branch Installation
Blanket com.rafaelmardojai.Blanket 0.6.0 stable system
TAP-plugins …esktop.LinuxAudio.Plugins.TAP 1.0.1 21.08 system
SWH …esktop.LinuxAudio.Plugins.swh 0.4.17 21.08 system
Freedesktop Platform org.freedesktop.Platform 21.08.18 21.08 system
Mesa …eedesktop.Platform.GL.default 21.3.9 21.08 system
Mesa …eedesktop.Platform.GL.default 22.3.4 22.08 system
Mesa (Extra) …eedesktop.Platform.GL.default 22.3.4 22.08-extra system
nvidia-515-86-01 ….Platform.GL.nvidia-515-86-01 1.4 system
Intel …edesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel 21.08 system
Intel …edesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel 22.08 system
openh264 …freedesktop.Platform.openh264 2.1.0 2.0 system
openh264 …freedesktop.Platform.openh264 2.1.0 2.2.0 system
GNOME Application P… org.gnome.Platform 43 system
Adwaita theme org.kde.KStyle.Adwaita 6.3 system
KDE Application Pla… org.kde.Platform 6.3 system
mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$

Hummmmm guess they are all on there ... but why don't they download and install .....

I get the same on the old Dell Inspiron N7110 that my kids are now using... it installs new stuff a couple times a week from flatpak (I don't use snap or flatpak on the new HP, but the kids wanted flatpak because it's got some apps they use). Not sure why it persists in saying the Freedesktop Platform is EOL, why it doesn't just update it.

2 Likes

I am guessing that Blanket is the one that you have Flatpak installed for...
In terminal run

flatpak update -y

Should clear that up.

This is a common thing with Flatpak, so make note of that command.

2 Likes

I had the same about 1-2weeks ago, after about the 3rd day it finally installed.
Maybe try changing server to local?
In "Software & Updates" make sure you have Canonical "Checked".
You could also run update/upgrade in terminal & look for error's?

1 Like

I do exactly that in Terminal (I've set up a keyboard shortcut to a long script that checks snapd, flatpak, firmware, etc.)... it downloads and installs stuff, but never updates to the Freedesktop Platform that isn't EOL.

1 Like

Have you run sudo flatpak repair?

Running it now... 132 items to parse through, so it might take awhile.

[EDIT]
Looks like it didn't make any changes:

sudo flatpak repair
[131/132] Verifying flathub:runtime/org.kde.Platform.Locale/x86_64/5.15-21.08…
Checking remotes...
Pruning objects
Erasing .removed

Here's what sudo flatpak update returns (after running sudo flatpak repair):

Looking for updates…

Info: runtime org.freedesktop.Platform branch 20.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
   org.freedesktop.Platform 20.08 is no longer receiving fixes and security updates. Please update to a supported runtime version.
Info: applications using this runtime:
   info.colobot.Colobot

Info: runtime org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel branch 20.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
   org.freedesktop.Platform 20.08 is no longer receiving fixes and security updates. Please update to a supported runtime version.
Info: applications using this extension:
   info.colobot.Colobot

Info: runtime org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default branch 20.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
Info: applications using this extension:
   info.colobot.Colobot

ID                                  Branch          Op          Remote           Download
 1.     org.gnome.Platform.Locale           42              u           flathub          < 336.9 MB (partial)
 2.     org.gnome.Platform                  42              u           flathub          < 280.4 MB
 3.     org.gnome.Platform.Locale           43              u           flathub          < 340.4 MB (partial)
 4.     org.gnome.Platform                  43              u           flathub          < 325.1 MB

Proceed with these changes to the system installation? [Y/n]:

It'll give the same even after doing the installation, but not right away... it takes a couple days.

1 Like

Yes sir Blanket is why flatpak is installed ..... I love the bird calls background .... to me VERY relaxing ..... command duly noted and copied to my cheat sheet .... here is results of terminal command .....

mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$ flatpak update -y
Looking for updates…

ID                                           Branch Op Remote  Download
  1. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-525-78-01 1.4 i flathub 414.0 MB / 414.8 MB
  2. [✓] org.gnome.Platform.Locale 43 u flathub 1.4 kB / 340.4 MB
  3. [✓] org.gnome.Platform 43 u flathub 57.9 MB / 325.1 MB

Changes complete.
mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$

Thank you kind sir and thanks to all those that participated in this thread ..... :+1: :clap: :beer:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.