Zorin write or created?

I am little digging inside file Zorin.
Many times I reading brothers Zorin writing this operating system takes many time to create that and only they on this project distribution.
What I can sayed this is created distribution but not writing from zero.
I saw many files from another authors to help this distribution exist.
So the brothers Zorin created but 100% not write this operating from zero. This is my 5 cent where I reading many times it took create this distribution because they writing Zorin OS - that is 100% for me not true. I understable this is created not writing from 0 like a TempleOS with one person Terrence Andrew Davis.
Then the ZorinOS is created with many files script from all the world people countries with any type distribution OpenSuse,arch,debian,ubuntu etc.

2 Likes

So if I understand you correctly you are saying that a carpenter shouldn't claim the house he built is his design because he didn't make his own hammer and saw and other tools. What I see is the Zorin brothers using the tools available to them to create a distro of their own design.

1 Like

Well it is more simple if you buying a house with empty walls named this "kernel" - the inside things are decorated with brothers Zorin what doesn't mean all things are created with them. They building ZorinOS - On the example of a painter who painted a picture. However, the brush and paints are not his production. Do you understable what I want sayed? They put a work a many people to they project distribution ZorinOS.

@citfta I want just for clarification sayed this is not the same what TempleOS. That what i thinking on mind.

They didn't programed it from 0. They use the Ubuntu Base wich is not from them; it is from Canonical. And under this Base lies Debian.

What Zorin makes is: They configure and adjust the System with Things they think that it is a good Experience for Users. That is not different from Linux Mint for Example. They make the same but in her Way.

1 Like

To be fair, Temple OS stands apart from everything else. Nothing today compares.

Zorin OS relies on other contributions, both upstream as well as independent. Upstream would be the Ubuntu Base, the Gnome desktop... Independent developments include the Zorin Connect app which is the GSConnect Gnome extension which in itself is a fork of KDEConnect adapted to work on Gnome.
Although KDEConnect works just fine on Zorin OS Lite, this may explain why Zorin OS Lite lacks consistency and comes without a Zorin Connect app, even though it easily could.

An auto maker can place their badge and brand name on a product even though they did not build the transmission or the engine. They assembled it into the finished product.
In most ways, Zorin OS is like this and this is true of the (by far) vast majority of GnuLinux distributions. This ability to "plug n' play" various modular components to build a working Operating System has been the true selling point of Gnu Linux, even though we are directly observing the process of losing this functionality right before our very eyes.
In a few years, all distros will be more standardized, like Windows OS and our unique flavors of GnuLinux will begin to fade away, isolated to the pockets of hold-outs like me and @swarfendor437 and other independent brown coats.
Zorin OS will be undoubtedly included in this standardization as we shift away from our diverse and empowering roots and delegated into forced code and the End User "kindly advised" to just accept the rationalizations and excuses why the standardization is "better" (better for the developers, not the users).

I want to post that I read @Bourne's question as a genuine one, not a critique.

Just to add I forgot my own security advice on snapd which is as secure as telnet or finger. I am now trying to leave kdeneon for pclinuxos as no systemd and no remnants of systemd like Devuan. Most distributions splatter theirs with elogind which was originally aimed at the Gnome desktop without having to fully implement systemd.

I like this post on the systemdfree wordpress website.

" Please keep the recommendations going, for inclusion and exclusion from the list. We can not keep and maintain installations for all of them, we count on you.

Hardcore because they seem honest and dedicated to the war against totalitarianism by IBM and other mega corporations to dominate the Open and Free software world.

Basically, after some odd experiences with Nutyx and its full turn into systemd-dom, basic functionality of starting X , such as vte terminals, filemanagers (thunar and pcmanfm) was impossible. Why was it impossible? Because they REQUIRE elogind and dbus to be running in order for them to start. So off this site any further mention of Nutyx.

If such development spreads there has to be a differentiation between distros that include such c**p like elogind, for obvious and overly discussed reasons, and DO NOT make their use necessary everywhere that there is no absolute need, to make it necessary. In other words, there seems to be a new trend from utilizing elogind to accommodate needs of upstream desktop dependencies, but some distros go out of their way to enforce the use of elogind EVERYWHERE THEY CAN!

There is a qualitative difference between drinking socially, a cocktail, a beer or two, some wine while dining with friends and comrades, AND being a full blown alcoholic where the first thing you do when opening your eyes, is to reach next to your couch, where you slept with your shoes on, and grab the bottle of 151′ proof rum to rinse your mouth, then swallow the mouthwash. HUGE difference!

….. and such madness was listed as systemd free linux on our long list! No more, that old list will remain to reflect the wide variety of Pid1 switchers.

In light of recent development and discovery of such development, seatd comes to compliment consolekit2 to replicate the functionality of elogind. Its use in Obarun made starting wayland and sway successful. The same developer who wrote seatd has also written greetd, a display manager that is wayland compliant without using elogind/systemd. So the common excuse “we use elogind for wayland” has run out, while with the last edition of ck2 (12/2020 note: there have been later updates to this one) the excuse of it being unmaintained is also fading. People in the BSD ecosystem are contributing plenty of development for ck2.

The difference between elogind and (ck2-seatd) is size and complexity, and it is counted in multiples. So for those who follow unix tradition of simplicity, single use, compliance with everything else, the way to go is clear.

Another proposal

What will now be a proposed as a medium strictness list? Where distros choose to make elogind available, but not absolutely necessary for all X software.

We want to believe that all forms of adelie, antiX, alpine, and Void are still healthy, we are unsure of Artix, but we will investigate and take your recommendations and suggestions as they come. Our last attempts to start X on artix without elogind were futile, but we may be wrong.

The screen is/will be:

Can X be started without elogind?

Can the most popular WMs start within that X session without elogind?

Can basic common terminals and file-managers start without elogind?

Can common file-managers work without automounting devices?

We can repeat this process with dbus, and there are situations where things start and run fine, even though they may throw some warning and errors for not accessing a running dbus channel, while being 90+% functional, and situations where they lose basic functionality. Like LibreOffice has the entire prime menu bar (File Edit View … Help) missing when started without a live dbus session, while a ton of their other icon intense menu bars work."

This quote falls foul itself in respect of Wayland as IBM is trying to push Wayland through to all distributions. When big names get involved you might as well become an off-grid professional Luddite.

techrights.org/o/2023/08/22/wayland-and-ibm/

1 Like

I am again want sayed for all people on this forum for clarification.
Before where people sayed a Zorin is writed. Then I thinking this is something like TempleOS.
I know the apperance is 100% project brothers write from zero.
Propably this distribution is something like a "lego".
For correct working any distributions need a kernel with files and configure make mrproper what is on or off.
Besides on github you can find more "remix Zorin" created from another people.
Then Zorin is opensource and anyone can used they code.
POP OS writing from 0 desktop in rust.
Slackware and gentoo, BSD they are diffrent code "doas" - no systemd.
Desktops also can be created with diffrent ways using many types files.
Then Zorin is a distribution created with brothers Zorin they ideas - like a gods.

I wouldn't even bother to address these types of pointless comments, if I were you.

Point?

Ok, you need to understand that to foster a community of FOSS software, we must build on previous software. This is the way that it is and most probably always will be. Zorin developers are open about it being ubuntu based, and Zorin is a distro, just that, a distrobution of the linux operationg system base. I would also note the linux cant run without additional coding for a distrobution. Everyone that has contributed software and code to Zorin, directly, or indirectly, has given express consent by release their software as FOSS. Zorin can also be built on by others to make a even more diverse and versitile system.

Nobody -- Nobody thinks zorin is 100% original system, it is clear, and openly stated it was built off of Ubuntu and Linux

1 Like

And then you turned right around and did:

:man_shrugging:

I think this is a reasonably accurate analogy and is what @Lyr1cal was saying.
This is also a good reason to value the Modular nature of GnuLinux and seek to preserve it, rather than the current push toward integrated shell applications that cannot be moved, modified or forked.

https://www.howtogeek.com/675569/why-linuxs-systemd-is-still-divisive-after-all-these-years/

1 Like