ZorinOS 16 shutting down

This did in fact work, I think it might've been reading my CPU temperature wrong or something.

1 Like

I've been having the same issues of ZorinOS 16 shutting down randomly and Logs always show thermald critical temp reached:

I could not even get through Software Updater, as it would always shutdown in the middle of installing patches.

This is a new HP All-in-One running Intel Core I7 and Intel IRISxe video card, so nothing to do with old fans/vents needing to be cleaned.

I removed themald last night and seems to be fine, now...just got through full Software Update with a large number of packages for the first time in several months.

Something is definitely throwing an invalid value in themald causing this shutdown. I've seen similar comments on other Linux boards, but not seeing a real fix...maybe the kernels needs to catch up with the newish hardware of the AiO??

This is sensors screenshot during the Software Updater session...the fan did ramp up during installations but never got to critical state:

Screenshot from 2022-02-22 05-44-42

But, is there any harm in removing themald...is anything protecting the CPU in case of a real overheat situation in the future?

It is interesting... since MS Windows uses the same Thermald.

Gigabytes thermal deamon is the open Source Intel thermal deamon.

You can install

sudo apt install indicator-cpufreq lm-sensors

and monitor temps using a conky or Psensor. Stacer can be used as well. I prefer conky as it creates a background HUD that is independent of any active window.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.