Select Ubuntu server 20.04.5 LTS (x64) from Other > Ubuntu
Select SD Card in Media
Write Media
Insert SD Card into PI400

Boot SD Card
Sign in Default sign in will be ubuntu ubuntu

Use the adduser command to add a new user to your system:

adduser yourname

Next, you’ll be asked to fill in some information about the new user. It is fine to accept the defaults and leave this information blank:

usermod -aG sudo yourname

Be sure to replace yourname with the username you just added

To test that the new sudo permissions are working, first use the su command to switch to the new user account:

su - yourname

sudo ls -la /root

If your user is in the proper group and you entered the password correctly, the command that you issued with sudo will run with root privileges.
sudo reboot

login with new account you made above
once confirmed that your new account works

sudo usermod -L ubuntu

to disable the default account

Networking
Wired Lan should auto connect. See Below for Wireless - Setup will be easier with wired lan, as wireless can be setup easily once the desktop environment boots. But i ahve included wireless setup instructions in case like me your pi is in a spot without wired access

Setup Wireless Config

ip link set wlan0 up

dhclient wlan0

Create the wpa_supplicant configuration file with the following command (assuming your network is WPA-PSK encrypted):

wpa_passphrase "MyHomeNetwork" "abcd1234" > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Start wpa_supplicant in the background:

wpa_supplicant -Bc /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlan0

sudo reboot

** Update and Install Zorin **

Login with the new account you made above

Allow Ubuntu Server to auto Patch could take up to 1 hour

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorin-os/packages
sudo apt update
sudo apt install zorin-os-lite-desktop -y
sudo reboot

The Pi400 will reboot and you should be greeted with the Zorin Login Screen.
I have encountered some odd quirks such as having DiskAnalyzer set as default filemanager
follow this guide to change back to thunar if you encounter this

2 Likes

Yes, the PI4B and 400 share similar cpu and ram. the 400 has a newer version of the same cpu which is just a tad more power efficient. and if you have a 8gb model of the 4b then it will run better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a thought ...... if you folks don't stop talking about Raspberry Pi both Lou and myself are going to gain 20 pds and we can't afford that

I'm looking for a bright neon orange speedo so they can find me if I ever get lost ....

scream

disguised_face

1 Like

Raspberry NAS.

1 Like

@Bourne you can also run Nextcloud or Owncloud on rPi 4

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.