After reinstalling light dm Zorin reverts to old 18 Ubuntu and Pw login loops

@carmar: unsure what you mean, exactly. When I did try the GDM3 trick and saw the message I rebooted anyway, an eternal optimist!

I also recall when I FIRST installed lightdm i was sleepy and did not read properly, missed the option to change from gm3 to lightdm

The result was nothing.
So, do you want to me to:

• purge lightdm , then reinstall but select gdm3?
  • purge lightdm and reinstall gdm3 and reboot after the error and report back?
  • Something else-
  • none of the above

Thks for the link, I have read it, a lot of options.
I guess yuo were referring to the green ticked re error message, if so, basically that is what I did; ignored it and rebooted. Nothing changed, went straight to clean ccccc files ccccc blocks.

The only way I seem to be able to get a graphic display is with lightdm

Hope this helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

What about Aravisian’s suggestion? sudo apt install zorin-os-desktop

But to answer your question - I was thinking purge lightdm and reinstall gdm3 and reboot after the error and report back. But likely, it may not be lightdm leftover config files causing issues - more like what Aravisian wrote about part of the DE missing. Still, the purge is worth a try and what I had in mind.

PS - this also may not help but does startx work?

OK, at moment I am doing a nautilus reload, no startx did not work tried that earlier.

@Aravisian

• Nautilus is latest pack, reloading changed nothing
  • Zorin O/S DT latest version already installed, can not reinstall it is not a download.

How do you feel about Reinstalling the operating system? :expressionless:

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Sometimes, ya can’t find the hole in the boat

With access to tty, at least you can use terminal commands to compress and make back ups of personal files.

@carmar

• purged light dm
  • update
  • reinstalled ldm using GDM3
  • reverts to clean files blocks screen
  • purged light dm using gdm 3 mode
  • installed gdm3 direct
  • already current package
  • reinstall unstall gdm3 (no error message~)
    *reboot
  • back to clean files blocks

Seems only way to get graphic interface is light dm.
I will keep banging away at the password thing, eventually I will find the hole.

Understood and seriously, I appreciate the time you guys have put in. I will continue to search and see what turns up. If I can sort the pw issue I feel I am almost there

When you enter your PW, are you able to log in and see a desktop?

Did you consider uninstalling Geany? That shouldn’t be it but if that’s the only change you made, then what else could it be?

Not exactly, I still see the same 1804 mauve background with the stylised animal, the time, date, option buttons are all at the top of the screen. you get the idea?
I don’t have option to login as guest but can under the cog wheel chose a variety nof options, such as
Gnome, Gnome classic, gnome on xorg etc

You can choose the options, but not actually login?

let me think about that

Correct

yep, tried em all

Have you tried Installing Ubuntu Desktop again?

I will try that now, however, I was working from a PPA via terminal and from very foggy memory I don’t recall if the package actually loaded and geany installed or not

No, it seemed to make little if any difference.
Will give it a go after I try to remove geany

geany --version will tell you.
Actually, never mind - if you try to remove and it’s not there then you’ll know anyway.