Almost ready to dump Zorin 16

You may try:

killall pulseaudio && rm -r ~/.pulse*

sudo apt install --reinstall pavucontrol linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils

Configure your sound settings, then check if it survives reboot.

1 Like

From my websearch using "Realtek ALC887-VD Ubuntu 20.04" looks like several people are not getting sound working on various distro's (e.g. PopOS, Mint) with that sound card.
I can only suggest you may try further websearches yourself and see if anything good comes up.

Question: did sound work if you used your installation USB in "Try Zorin" mode?

2 Likes

Do you guys know why I preach about USB adapters so much? Its because, when your internal hardware that was only made for Windows fails, you can always buy a USB adapter online that is made to be Linux compatible.

So, if the OP would like to help reduce some of the frustration, they can go on Amazon or whatever site they choose, and buy a USB audio adapter that works on Linux. And guess what? Most of them do. But always double check by typing in the word LINUX in the question and ask section.

If it works on Linux, it will be confirmed by other users. Here's one for an example...

1 Like

I found another one that seems to have a few more features like the volume knob, and I took a screenshot of a post from a guy that says he was using it successfully with what do you know it, Zorin OS! It was 16.04 though but that shouldn't matter, anything working on 16.04 should be working on 20.04

Oh I like that idea, going to order one thanks. I don't really use my sound much just now and then I up in age so I don't really play music with the computer I use a dot.

1 Like

The sound always works when I reset it from the default it keeps switching to, if I'm understanding the question correctly.

Hello,
I installed Zorin OS 16 Pro on my computer last week where I previously ran Windows 10. I had a popping sound on my speakers with Zorin OS. I removed that speaker and plugged in a USB speaker that I had.
It works great with Zorin OS and I haven't had any issues.

The problem I have is properly understanding what changes you actually make (and where you make them) to your sound settings away from the "default".
Given a clear understanding exactly what you do to get sound working, may give us a lead to finding what is causing it to be overridden on boot. (maybe).

Sound on Zorin has been a challenge for me in the past and I spent many hours "experimenting" until I arrived at settings that worked consistently. Even now I have to have fingers crossed. There is too many fingers in the linux sound "pie", pulse, alsa and the Zorin settings>sound menu. I favour Alsamixer from my attempts to solve sound problems, but the problems and solutions do not always follow logic, more like magic.

If you hit [F6] in alsamixer, what sound cards do you see listed?

That ALC887-VD sound card of yours (from what i've read) looks like it is for external speakers to be plugged in for surround sound. If you are not using it for surround sound or for sound much at all, then a inexpensive USB sound card (linux compatible) may be the simple solution.

1 Like

Sorry Zabadabadoo just saw this. I have to go into the sound under settings, it defaults to "analog output-audio adapter" after the computer turns off and then when I start it back up tomorrow I have to go into setting and change it to "line out-built in audio" then it works fine. Alsamixex does not have a setting that works I've tried them all twice I've also tried pulse with the same results. I'm thinking if it was just a usb connection it would work' but it's a usb plus a green plug in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.