'Applications do not launch from the Taskbar after some time' related to gnome-software?

Hi,

After some time (typically a couple of days including suspend/resumes) applications like Firefox or Terminal will not launch any more from the Taskbar, I just get the spinning wheel of death in Mac parlance. I just found out that it is in some way related to gnome-software. As Firefox did not launch I right-clicked on Firefox on the Taskbar and clicked 'Show Details' and Software launched with the error: 'The name .. was not provided by any .service files'. I get that error more often so I knew the workaround: execute 'killall gnome-software' from a terminal (but note you can only execute this command if you already have a terminal open, because when you try to launch a new terminal you will also be confronted by the spinning wheel of death). After executing that command Firefox (and the other applications) launched again.
Any ideas why an error in Software prevents applications to launch from the Taskbar?

Regards,
GW

1 Like

Maybe that is a contributing factor. Is the machine just suspending or hibernating?
Do you have an adequate size swap partition if the latter?

1 Like

I see it often (too much often) but not that prevents software from the taskbar to open, this is strange. Then this error for me is shown only those times that I click Show Details of a software, not when executing it. Does software open really late or not at all?

So when this happens applications (Terminal, Chrome, Firefox etc.) that have been added to the taskbar by right-clicking on the icon and choosing 'Add to Favorites' do not launch any more when you click on the icon: you just get the spinning wheel of death. Software does launch but with the error. It just happened again: Chrome did not launch, I executed 'killall gnome-software' from a terminal and Chrome (and the other applications) launched again. Firefox does launch when you type 'firefox' from within a terminal, so it is somehow related to launching the application from the taskbar.

Regards,
GW

1 Like

@zabadabadoo, do you think it can be a permissions' problem?

I don't know.
I was thinking it was something to do with sleep/hibernation screwing up the desktop as the OP said this:

@gwiesenekker Does the problem occur at any time before a suspend/resume, or only after period including suspend/resume actions.

1 Like

Yes, when you wrote about the sleep/hibernation and the size swap partition in your first message I didn't know what to say but now that I think about it better about the sleep/hibernation I wouldn't say that the problem occur right before them, I don't think that gwiesenekker started the software and then suddenly set one of them, this would mean self-sabotaging, while about the size swap partition I don't know anything, and I don't want to search it or my brain will melt. Let's see what gwiesenekker will tell.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.