Apps keep closing

I am using Zorin OS 18.1 Pro. All applications have now started closing unexpectedly and continuously. :roll_eyes:
I don't know the reason because no error message appears either. :face_with_monocle:

apps dying w/ no popup is usually a crash or oom for me

-journalctl --user -b -p err | tail -80
-journalctl -b -p err | grep -iE 'killed process|out of memory|segfault' | tail -40
-free -h
-flatpak list
check if only flatpaks die or .deb apps too

1 Like

@nite_route The system I use:

  • 64GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM
  • Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD
  • RTX 4090

It can't be a lack of RAM; I'm using a powerful system.

64gb rules out normal oom yeah. still want the journal tho, apps dying silent is usually a segfault or the nvidia stack

-journalctl --user -b -p err | tail -80

-journalctl -b -p err | rg -i 'segfault|killed process|oom|nvidia' | tail -40

also say if its flatpak only or .deb apps too

1 Like

@nite_route Which driver do you recommend installing here? I'm using a 4090.

emre@Yildirmaz:~$ journalctl --user -b -p err | tail -80
Eyl 26 08:10:44 Yildirmaz systemd[2024]: Failed to start app-gnome-gnome\x2dkeyring\x2dpkcs11-2372.scope - Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
Eyl 26 08:10:44 Yildirmaz systemd[2024]: Failed to start app-gnome-gnome\x2dkeyring\x2dsecrets-2377.scope - Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
Eyl 26 08:10:44 Yildirmaz systemd[2024]: Failed to start app-gnome-gnome\x2dkeyring\x2dssh-2374.scope - Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
Eyl 26 08:10:44 Yildirmaz systemd[2024]: Failed to start app-gnome-xdg\x2duser\x2ddirs-2391.scope - Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
Eyl 26 08:10:45 Yildirmaz systemd[2024]: Failed to start app-gnome-snap\x2duserd\x2dautostart-2673.scope - Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
Eyl 26 08:10:45 Yildirmaz systemd[2024]: Failed to start app-gnome-user\x2ddirs\x2dupdate\x2dgtk-2684.scope - Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
emre@Yildirmaz:~$ journalctl -b -p err | grep -iE 'killed process|out of memory|segfault' | tail -40
emre@Yildirmaz:~$ free -h
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Bellek:         62Gi       4,3Gi        56Gi       163Mi       2,5Gi        58Gi
Takas:            0B          0B          0B
emre@Yildirmaz:~$ flatpak list
Ad    Uygulama Kimliği     Sürüm                    Dal         Köken   Kurulum
Warp  app.drey.Warp        1.0.0                    stable      flathub system
Grad… …xandervanhee.gradia 1.13.0                   stable      flathub system
Disc… ….discordapp.Discord 1.0.159                  stable      flathub system
Daml… …nefindus.eyedropper 2.2.1                    stable      flathub system
Foli… …ohnfactotum.Foliate 3.3.0                    stable      flathub system
Mind… …ub.phase1geo.minder 2.0.9                    stable      flathub system
Clap… …r.Clapper.Enhancers                          stable      flathub system
Easy… …ub.wwmm.easyeffects 8.2.9                    stable      flathub system
Xour… …xournalpp.xournalpp 1.3.7                    stable      flathub system
Goog… com.google.Chrome    154.0.8037.57-1          stable      flathub system
Logs… com.logseq.Logseq    0.10.15                  stable      flathub system
OBS … …m.obsproject.Studio 32.2.2                   stable      flathub system
Valot com.odnoyko.valot    0.9.3                    stable      flathub system
Batt… …aelmardojai.Blanket 0.8.0                    stable      flathub system
Frag… …ckerfelix.Fragments 3.0.1                    stable      flathub system
Home… fr.free.Homebank     5.10.3                   stable      flathub system
Hand… fr.handbrake.ghb     1.11.2                   stable      flathub system
Open… io.github.OpenToonz  1.8.0                    stable      flathub system
Plan… …ub.alainm23.planify 4.20.0                   stable      flathub system
Davu… …evisto.drum-machine 2.2.0                    stable      flathub system
News… …ews_flash.NewsFlash 5.2.5                    stable      flathub system
Upsc… …ilskeleton.Upscaler 1.6.5                    stable      flathub system
Scri… net.scribus.Scribus  1.6.5                    stable      flathub system
Ardo… org.ardour.Ardour    9.8.0                    stable      flathub system
Auda… …dacityteam.Audacity 3.7.8                    stable      flathub system
Code… …eam.Audacity.Codecs                          stable      flathub system
Blen… org.blender.Blender  5.2                      stable      flathub system
Code… …nder.Blender.Codecs                          stable      flathub system
dark… …darktable.Darktable 5.6.1                    stable      flathub system
Desk… …g.deskflow.deskflow 1.26.0                   stable      flathub system
Free… org.freecad.FreeCAD  1.1.3                    stable      flathub system
Calf  …xAudio.Plugins.Calf 0.90.9                   25.08       flathub system
LSP   …uxAudio.Plugins.LSP 1.2.35                   25.08       flathub system
MDA   …uxAudio.Plugins.MDA 1.2.12                   25.08       flathub system
TAP-… …uxAudio.Plugins.TAP 1.0.1                    25.08       flathub system
ZamP… ….Plugins.ZamPlugins 4.5                      25.08       flathub system
SWH   …uxAudio.Plugins.swh 0.4.17                   25.08       flathub system
x42P… ….Plugins.x42Plugins 2026.09.08               25.08       flathub system
Free… …reedesktop.Platform freedesktop-sdk-24.08.36 24.08       flathub system
Free… …reedesktop.Platform freedesktop-sdk-25.08.17 25.08       flathub system
Free… …reedesktop.Platform freedesktop-sdk-26.08.1  26.08       flathub system
Mesa  …Platform.GL.default 26.1.8                   24.08       flathub system
Mesa… …Platform.GL.default 26.1.8                   24.08extra  flathub system
Mesa  …Platform.GL.default 26.2.2                   25.08       flathub system
Mesa… …Platform.GL.default 26.2.2                   25.08-extra flathub system
Mesa  …Platform.GL.default 26.2.2                   26.08       flathub system
Mesa… …Platform.GL.default 26.2.2                   26.08-extra flathub system
Code… …atform.codecs-extra                          25.08-extra flathub system
Code… …atform.codecs-extra                          26.08-extra flathub system
open… …p.Platform.openh264 2.5.1                    2.5.1       flathub system
GNOM… …ome.NetworkDisplays 0.99.0                   stable      flathub system
GNOM… org.gnome.Platform                            49          flathub system
GNOM… org.gnome.Platform                            50          flathub system
GNOM… org.gnome.Platform                            51          flathub system
Sola… org.gnome.Solanum    6.0.0                    stable      flathub system
Secr… …gnome.World.Secrets 14.0                     stable      flathub system
Apos… …ab.somas.Apostrophe 3.4                      stable      flathub system
Zori… …heme.ZorinBlue-Dark                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …eme.ZorinBlue-Light                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …eme.ZorinBrown-Dark                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …me.ZorinBrown-Light                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …eme.ZorinGreen-Dark                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …me.ZorinGreen-Light                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …heme.ZorinGrey-Dark                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …eme.ZorinGrey-Light                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …me.ZorinOrange-Dark                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …e.ZorinOrange-Light                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …me.ZorinPurple-Dark                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …e.ZorinPurple-Light                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …theme.ZorinRed-Dark                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …heme.ZorinRed-Light                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …me.ZorinYellow-Dark                          3.22        zorinos system
Zori… …e.ZorinYellow-Light                          3.22        zorinos system
Inks… …g.inkscape.Inkscape 1.4.4                    stable      flathub system
KDE … org.kde.Platform                              5.15-25.08  flathub system
KDE … org.kde.Platform                              6.10        flathub system
KDE … org.kde.Platform                              6.11        flathub system
KDE … org.kde.Platform                              6.9         flathub system
QAdw… …QAdwaitaDecorations                          5.15-25.08  flathub system
Kden… org.kde.kdenlive     26.08.1                  stable      flathub system
Krita org.kde.krita        5.3.3                    stable      flathub system
Mixx… org.mixxx.Mixxx      2.5.6                    stable      flathub system
VLC   org.videolan.VLC     3.0.23                   stable      flathub system
emre@Yildirmaz:~$ 

for a 4090 on zorin 18 id stick w the proprietary driver from Additional Drivers (the tested nvidia one, not nouveau). dont chase the newest .run from nvidia.com unless that menu is empty.

ur journal snippet doesnt show the app deaths tho. when something closes again grab this right after
-journalctl -b --since "2 min ago" | rg -i 'segfault|killed|core dumped|nvidia|flatpak' | tail -60

and whether its only flatpaks dying or .deb apps too. pick the recommended proprietary line in Additional Drivers and reboot once.

1 Like

@nite_route I am trying the commands you gave, but...

emre@Yildirmaz:~$ journalctl -b --since "2 min ago" | rg -i 'segfault|killed|core dumped|nvidia|flatpak' | tail -60
'rg'  komutu bulunamadı, ama şununla kurulabilir:
sudo snap install ripgrep  # version 12.1.0, or
sudo apt  install ripgrep  # version 14.0.3-1
İlave versiyonlar için 'snap info ripgrep' kısmına bakınız.

I am receiving a response in this way.
I set up the graphics card this way as well.

He she didn't use to do these things at all before. I was able to carry out my broadcasts or work without any trouble.

rg isnt on zorin by default. use grep:

journalctl -b --since "2 min ago" | grep -iE 'segfault|killed|core dumped|nvidia|flatpak' | tail -60

or install it:
sudo apt install ripgrep

run that right after an app dies and paste what comes back.

Only to have it more detailed: You want start a Program. You click on the Icon and ... it doesn't even start or a Window opens shortly but disappears immediately?

Also: Does Your System run in Wayland or X11? You can check that with the Terminal Command echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

Another Point would be if it affecty Programs independently from the Package Format. The Brave Browser comes preinstalled as .deb Package. Happens it with this?

And because You have Pro: There should be Gradia preinstalled. that is a Flatpak. When You start this, happens it with this?

It shuts down when I try to use it. For instance taking the **Easy Effects** software I use for broadcasts as an example I wanted to add a noise suppressor for the microphone. It closes when I press the "Add Effect" button.

Thinking there might be a software issue, I launched the OBS software. The main screen appears, but it shuts down when I click on the settings menu.

X11

I am not using any additional software. I am using OBS and its plugins as provided during the installation. On the contrary, thinking there might have been an error while updating the program, I uninstalled and reinstalled the OBS and Easy plugins. The result was still the same.

The program did not crash. I did not experience any crashes during operations such as adjusting settings or exporting images.

I use these on the same system. There are two different computers, and both are running Zorin OS. It never used to do this before.

The entire system on my gaming PC has started working normally now. Nothing was working until I sent you the message above. Now it has started working, and I haven't done anything yet. :thinking:

Right now, OBS just won't open. It was opening two minutes ago. Now it's doing the same thing again. :slight_smile:

I suspect this:

Could You check the installed Version of a Package please? Type in Terminal

apt list bubblewrap

and check if it is Version 0.9.0-1ubuntu0.3 amd64

@Ponce-De-Leon

bubblewrap/noble-updates,noble-security,now 0.9.0-1ubuntu0.3 amd64 [install,oto]
bubblewrap/noble-updates,noble-security 0.9.0-1ubuntu0.3 i386

This is all that's visible right now.

obs + easyeffects dying the second u click a menu smells like a plugin crash for me, not the bubblewrap thing

-coredumpctl list --since "30 min ago"
-coredumpctl info -1 | head -80
-launch from a terminal so u see the traceback: obs
-same for easyeffects

if the dump names a lv2/vst or obs browser source, remove that plugin first

Okay, the right Version is installed.

@nite_route I will try again now. I will forward the information to you. (I need to go to the office first for this.)

@Ponce-De-Leon So? Is my problem resolved now? I started the thread to find out how to fix the issue, not to show whether I set it up correctly or incorrectly.

I am currently unable to open any of the software I need to use. Could the relevant team members please provide a solution to this issue urgently?

if u need something working b4 the dump

-at the login screen gear pick Ubuntu on Xorg once and try obs + easyeffects
-in obs turn off Browser Source / any 3rd party plugins once
-same idea in easyeffects, disable extra plugins

when ur home paste:
coredumpctl info -1 | head -100

I asked about that because it was the Reason for Issues but was updated. And to check if You have the Update, I wanted that You check that. And for Confirmation, I wrote that.

I didn't had further Ideas, so I didn't wrote anything else. But there is a new Issue at the Moment. Look here:

In the Ubuntu Link, You see 2 Things to try. Check if that helps.

3 Likes

@Ponce-De-Leon thank you so much.

This situation needs to be rectified urgently through an update, such as version 18.2 or 18.5. I have over 50,000 followers on Facebook, and a similar number on other platforms. I frequently recommend that my followers and friends switch to Zorin OS.

Please release an urgent update to fix this issue.

1 Like