Are you happy with Zorin OS?

I remember mostly I have good experience with Zorin. Talking about when i moved from windows like a noob user. Very Simple,customization, many software and tools on pro. Very good support assistance. Very good for people who are new in Linux. Good for learning any type desktop. I can advice Zorin on the beginning journey with Linux. Very good fork Ubuntu with packages .deb flatpak and snap. Tester on gaming pc and laptop also office pc.

1 Like

I enjoy Zorin much more than Windows as a system, and the house now holds 5 newish (less than a year old) pc's now dual booting with Zorin, and 3 old laptops totally just running Zorin. I couldn't be happier. 16.3 is a much smoother install, and I look forward to the 17 series to come. The new pc's are Acer basic notebook, Asus Zenbook 14, Lenovo Yoga 16, and 2 Beelink mini units - both pro versions - though one is basic, while the other a high mid-grade (i5-10/12). The old laptops - 3 old dell 17". A pretty diverse group altogether. Keep up the great work guys! Loving it!

5 Likes

Debian and Ubuntu always leap frog each other as they release their versions. Right now Debian is fresh and new - the best thing ever. Soon Fedora will be the best thing ever. Then Ubuntu's next LTS release next year in April only about 7-8 months away - the best ever or the interim release in about 1 month. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, they get about 2+ years old. Zorin is different in that they sort of take a Red Hat approach to releasing on an old base. Even though their base ages rapidly, Zorin works great with some new software available via their own PPAs.

1 Like

I have a question if I have a newer pc what kind Zorin desktop enviroment will be better Zorin Lite Pro or Zorin Pro with Gnome?
I liked a simple desktop but with all details example open,close on taskbar.
Of course i can used some customization.
What I remember not all desktop enviroment are compatibility with - i mean xfce and gnome when i started a customization.
What websides or some channel are you adviced with customization?

Either Core or Lite will run very well. Zorin OS 16 made Gnome very usable and even customization is easier with an excellent addition for managing the gnome-shell panel.
It really comes down to your preferences and what you want to do.
Zorin OS Lite is what I prefer and use on my new computer.

How do you feel about learning a new Desktop Environment? Do you want one familiar and comfortable that you already know? Or want to try something new?
And you can install Cinnamon or KDE (Plasma) on Zorin OS, both of which run excellently, too.
(Though KDE can be a real bear to remove if you decide you dislike it... I recommend testing Kubuntu separately if you just want to check KDE Plasma Desktop out).

1 Like

Yes. I remember a journey on Zorin how easy it was installing.
I remember when i installed KDE and have problems when uninstalled it still existed some software from kde when back to gnome enviroment.
I still have feelings XFCE is better with response and start faster application from gnome or kde. Cinnamon is ok just simple - nothing to change.( I am bored )
I propably will going with XFCE.
I found last time some videos channel with customization on youtube.
On fedora i remember i installed some many type desktop enviroment and crashed.
With KDE and Kubuntu i saw some videos from devs KDE. Devs knows them desktop better, that why for them is easier.
Propably the good idea will be installing both on vm or installing on live usb pendrive. I have a couple but still is better performance on bare metal.

1 Like

I have installed about eight different desktops on Zorin OS all at once and it never crashed once:
Plasma
Enlightenment
LXDE-gtk3
XFCE
Cinnamon
Mate
Gnome
Budgie

4 Likes

Plasma what i remember it is with Conky.
Enlightenment is some type arch distribution like "Endeavorus"
LXDE-gtk3 is very light
XFCE,Cinnamon - pretty good
Mate also lightweight
Gnome modern but not my style to much makeup
Budgie a yes it wasn't in Devuan very simple desktop.
Well i will going from tier list here to XFCE

After distro hopping for years, and years - I've kind of locked in on Zorin. Have been using for about three years now. Was able to use it for my classes last year, Zoom, no issues. Everything so far has just, worked. Very little to get the Nvidia drivers going, and few other devices setup and all. Definitely a recommended one I throw out!

8 Likes

I remember when I used Zorin 15 version in the school on pendrive live usb.
When we using a computers. The best it was because i was used linux live,nobody can saw what I was doing on that computer.

3 Likes

I liked doing 'net send' when I had access to any of the computers in my school lol Great stuff - was sadly disabled after that :thinking: wonder why... hehehehe

The big thing other kids were doing was using a proxy website and get to 'restricted' sites for games and illicit content :rofl: New Grounds was the biggest I remember. When I was in typing class, I took note of the asset tag on the teachers PC, backdoored into the machine - and deleted some MBR files :sunglasses: free day in class! Simple fix but.. the 'tech' for the school just reinstalled Win2003 :person_facepalming: And of course that took a while - back to New Grounds! hahaha

Coming from Windows, I had some reservations about Linux at the beginning. My computer is a 2019 Acer Spin Laptop. Upgrading from Windows 8 to 11 considerably slowed down performance, with having to pay each month for an antivirus. I was frustrated, and initially, seriously considered a Chromebook. I found that solution too limited.

When I started to consider Linux, I must admit that there are way too many distros. I initially wanted to purchase a system76 laptop with POP!_OS, and I actually tried it from the USB stick. Wasn't pleased with the layout of the OS. I saw this video comparing POP vs Zorin, this is when I decided to go with Zorin.

There is a learning curve, and I had to make compromises in some software. Now I am much more comfortable. My only issue is with the Software Store that hangs, and that I have to go into the terminal to perform 3 commands to reset it.

Otherwise, I like it. I hope that the Zorin project will continue for a long time. Thank you Zorin brothers for spearheading this.

4 Likes

Not all heroes wear capes :smiley:

3 Likes

Lol security breach! That's crazy they let you have that.

Oh we did some gaming too - Assault Cube on the LAN in our tech class - and of course Super Tux Kart; we had a whole bracket going lol We bet with gum and candy; absolutely got in trouble for that one! :rofl: Good times!

Nope! Now, it's a white hat but, used to be gray hat! :wink: hahaha

Of course I am happy! It is best distribution for people who start adventure,beginning for people who out from windows to linux.
Zorin help me understable linux well the people in this forum most help me understable Zorin distribution and linux.
One people sayed the all linux distributions are the same. He "all" have in mind the mostly the same kernel with diffrent desktop enviroment and recompiling package. That is all.
I am now sitting on LMDE6 because LMDE 6 leverages the long-term release of Linux Kernel 6.1, which allows you to leverage experimental support for Rust (google translator)

Noice! Had no idea that dropped. I've got Mint on another little netbook deal. MATE surprisingly sits around 700MB on idle :eyes: I used to get a battery display of around 18hrs+ or so on it, but had Ubuntu MATE instead of Mint MATE.. maybe different somehow? Meh - works, not complaining. Definitely trying out Zorin17 on it when it drops!! I just got 15 32-bit going on an old old laptop, 'designed for XP' lol not a bad little laptop now - just heavy.. and a brick :laughing:

About Mate i put in Linux News history desktop Mate.

1 Like

I love Zorin OS. It has been my best Linux experience ever. No comparison. It is so user friendly. I was a huge Windows fanboy for years and hated Linux as I found the sheer amount of distros daunting and learning commands to be a pain. My coworker mentioned Zorin and I was immediately impressed. Made a live USB to install it. Now I've been running Zorin OS for 8 months and I've never looked back. I wish all computers ran it. It runs almost all my Windows applications right out of the box by default. I'm so excited for Zorin OS 17 and can't wait for it to release. I appreciate the work the developers have done to make this such a polished system.

5 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Off-topic discussion on Zorin OS stability