Audio issues

Hi Storm,
glad you joined our journey through the hell.. here the requested output:

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER] driver: N/A 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: fbdev,nouveau 
  unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x768~76Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6

And here it says no drivers.. which is a bit confusing.

yes... yes, I did.

I think I need more sleep.

Edited post.

The short answer is: The one that works.

Kernel versions incrementally get higher over time as new versions are released. When you installed Zorin OS, it had whichever kernel it had on it at that time. It has since increased to the 5.15.0-84
This is a good example of "newer is not always better."

Something about the -84 version does not like to work properly with your system.

Boot may be slow because your graphics are falling back to

It says you are not using the proprietary driver, but using Open Source Nouveau.
Nouveau is fine... But you also said you are not showing the correct resolution.

I had the same exact trouble with my Nvidia 3060 on the later kernel. It fell back to llvmpipe and my display resolution was huge.

Would love to help, but the ubuntu package sites are down at. so I can't check which package you could try to install nvidia driver manually. :confused:

EDIT: is kernel 6.x.x an option to try out here?

I would actually move backwards to the 5.8 or the 5.10...

Something about the -84 version does not like to work properly with your system.

Maybe this could be the point? I'm now thinking that I did also update the system during that session! I think I messed up everything with these two changes :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I had the same exact trouble with my Nvidia 3060 on the later kernel. It fell back to llvmpipe and my display resolution was huge.

Fun fact: neither the audio is working.

Now, as an answer to @Storm , at this stage I'd really love to turn back to the 535, even if they caused issue.. at least "everything was fine"...

Also, when I boot the system it chooses the -84, and it doesn't boot. How can I remove this piece?

sudo apt remove linux-headers-5.15.0-84-generic linux-modules-5.15.0-84-generic linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-84-generic linux-image-5.15.0-84-generic

Next, please read here to set your current working kernel as default. That way it stays that way even is system upgrades add a newer kernel. In this manner, you can boot into and *test a later kernel without worry.

Thanks! I will now try to reboot just to check.. if it works, I think I'll go with metapackage nvidia-driver 525 (proprietary)

1 Like

@Storm @Aravisian my desktop is back and normal <3
the only thing that is remaining is why my credentials are not needed anymore... which is obviously related, like all these things that happened, with this "Audio issues" thread. Ahahahahaha

1 Like

Check in your settings to see if AutoLogin has been enabled. If it has, you should disable it.

Got it! :slight_smile:
And now... I hope audio issues disappear with nvidia 525.
This was a long journey...

So do we. :crossed_fingers:

Let us know what audio problems (if any) now remain. It is a long way back to your OP and the story has more twists than a maize maze.

There's something screwy with 5.15.0-84... I was running 5.15.0-83 and installed 5.15.0-84, it went through the usual machinations as it installed, updated init, updated grub, etc.

When I rebooted, it didn't show up in grub. So I uninstalled generic and tried lowlatency... same thing.

So I wiped and reinstalled, the installation pulled in 5.15.0-84 generic, then I downloaded and installed 5.15.0-84 lowlatency.

My USB ports are now at their highest speed, so I have a combined maximum throughput on my triple-mirrored system of 840 MB/s. The only things not working are the USB-C port that's never worked on this machine (it's recognized by the system, but it won't accept resource assignment, so it never powers on), and the CPU only goes down to 1330 MHz instead of 400 MHz... which is weird in and of itself because it's only supposed to range down to 1600 MHz under this frequency driver.

Oh... and the battery has now been sitting at 88% for a very long time:
sudo upower -e

/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_AC
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/DisplayDevice

sudo upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0

native-path:          BAT0
  vendor:               Hewlett-Packard
  model:                Primary
  serial:               25442 06/22/2022
  power supply:         yes
  updated:              Wed 20 Sep 2023 11:54:43 AM CDT (38 seconds ago)
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  battery
    present:             yes
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               charging
    warning-level:       none
    energy:              33.1808 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         37.3993 Wh
    energy-full-design:  37.3993 Wh
    energy-rate:         0.0101608 W
    voltage:             12.666 V
    percentage:          88%
    capacity:            100%
    technology:          lithium-ion
    icon-name:          'battery-full-charging-symbolic'

I'm still not sure what I did to make that start working the way I want, other than enabling the BIOS to report battery percentage and runtime, rather than just percentage. It keeps working through machine shutdowns and reboots, so it appears that it's not just a temporary setting I've changed via the CLI.

1 Like

I am also still on the -83.
You both are not alone in this...

I'm really happy to tell you that one of the problems is back again! Eheheh
Basically I'm facing a huge delay between the moment I change the volume and the moment it actually changes. For example, if I mute a video, it takes about 2 secs for the audio to stop. Same story for just a small change

Edit: the same was present even with nvidia 535 drivers, but it was walking together with the audio becoming noisy and scratchy. Now it's just a matter of delay.

Edit 2: I'm just realizing it's not about an audio change but it's related to the audio itself. Even if I close a tab which is playing something, it's gonna stop the audio after some seconds.

Is it just audio controls delayed 2secs, or is audio playback itself (i.e. lipsync) also delayed?

Websearch using "audio controls delay 2 sec Ubuntu 20.04" found:

There is a reply which links to another thread that may move towards some answer.
If I see anything else I will come back.

EDIT:
I seem to remember you are using displayport. So added this link:

Hi, it's a general delay for the audio. It's not just for the volume change

So if you are playing a video, the lips and voice are also out of sync. yes? Not just the audio controls and not just volume control.

Yes exactly. Everything is delayed. As mentioned, even if I completely close my browser, the audio stops after 2/3 secs

Please answer this question re lipsync.

I think we now understand all your audio controls are delayed by 2 secs, but unclear about actual audio output delay or no delay.

"Yes exactly", totally out of sync.