Avif Files Duplicate Topic - Solution Maybe

Yes I know I asked about this back in March but still didn't find a solution I could use within my pay-grade which is novice .... I just downloaded more pictures from the same site which I have been downloading from March with no problems involving Avif files at all ..... maybe be 300-400 photos plus hundreds more from various other websites ..... by the way I don't store all and delete bunches with in a few days ....

It seems that some manufacture's are using M$'s wonderful new Avif files but they ... thank god .... are few and far between .... and I personally hope it never catches on ....

Hour after hour ..... day after day of searching ... reading and trying programs and so called solutions yielded nada ..... at least they never worked for me ..... I finally settled on Gimp and Firefox on Win 10 ..... and no Win 10 doesn't open Avif files either but Win 11 supposedly does ..... WOW ...... imagine that ..... all you need to do is install Win 11 for M$ Avif files to work .....no way .... I feel like M$ violated me yet once again ....

Well both Gimp and Firefox opened the files perfectly on Win 10 .... great now back to Zorin to downloaded Gimp from Synaptic and Firefox from their website ..... Firefox will open them if like ZenZen said in my original post .... to just open a new window and paste in there .....

That worked but I had to change "Open As" in Zorin to Firefox as default and you can only view on photo at a time ..... or at least I can get it to open all the photos at once ..... Gimp not so lucky default doesn't work with it .....

Gimp worked like I said on Win 10 with version ..... 2.10.34 revision 2 ..... while Synaptic used version 2.10.18 ..... and won't even find the photos unless I select "everything" and then it says it can't open this file .....

Is there anyway I can get the one for Windows ..... if anyone is using Gimp would you mind checking your version and see it it is newer than mine .....

Here is my old post if you are interested in reading more about my experiences with trying to open Avif files ....

AVIF Files How To Open

You can use ImageMagick (already installed with Zorin OS) to convert:

convert example.png example.avif

convert example.avif example.png

Using Gimp on Zorin would require that you install the 2.99 version.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mati75/gimp30

sudo apt update && sudo apt install gimp gegl

Gimp 2.99 comes with the avif plugin on Linux.

Unbelievable ...... you have done it again ..... it works like a charm and as a special bonus it will save the photo as a .xcf which can be pasted to my XnView MP photo apt where all my other photos are kept .....

You kind sir have saved me a ton of work from going to the internet and downloading 5-10 images a day to have them transferred to .jpg .....

THANK YOU

1 Like

I must warn you... GIMP 2.99 is currently Developmental BETA and it can be buggy.

You are able to have and use 2.10 and 2.99 at the same time and use whichever version you wish.
So for anything that you do not need 2.99 for - you can use 2.10 for and preserve some sanity.

2.99 includes batch conversion, too:

1 Like

Yea .... I saw that it is in beta stage and I'll be careful but it did what I wanted flawlessly really didn't expect it to be so easy ..... I'm gonna keep it around but by the time I get around to testing it out it will be in it's 3rd gen ...... all photos are are now safe and sound and viewable in XnView .... :+1: :smile:

Good to see that it .... 2.99 has batch conversion ..... XnView does also and one of the main reasons I use it .... it also has batch rename as a separate command ..... use both of them almost every day ......

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.