AVIF Files How To Open

Am I the only one having a problem opening AVIF Files ..... I know it is a fairly new format created by those friendly folks at M$ .... Cisco and several more .... I thought M$ would be happy with their WEPB format but I guess not .....

Anyway very few photo programs can open these files and even fewer in Linux .... like maybe a half dozen ..... or so .... I have read ....

One of the few is XnView MP which I have and is my go to app .... I just downloaded the newest version today 1.4.3 and it states in "the things updated list" the following ,,,,

I did reach out to the help forum on XnView but haven't heard back yet .....

I also have heard that KDE can open these files but I don't plan on changing my DE just to open these 30 something photos .... and running KDE along with other DE's for me was a disaster .... KDE ran rough shod over both Cinnamon and XFCE when I had all 3 downloaded .... but that was just my experience .....

I have also tied the on-line websites that are supposed to open the AVIF files but most don't plus trying to open 30 something pictures can take forever .....

Any thoughts .... ?????????????

Gday @Frog,
Looks like conversion is the way to go.. AVIF to JPG/etc.

Try this: gThumb

1 Like

Thank you sir I already have gThumb installed as I used it long ago when I first started using Zorin ..... I read through the link you posted and I'll give'ur a try ..... let you know .... :+1: :grinning:

1 Like

The default image viewer application works for me on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. I have installed version 43.2, while on ZorinOS 16.2 Core I have 3.38. I suppose then, this will be solved in ZorinOS 17.

Although it seems that by default it tries to open it with GIMP, so I still have to tell it to use the image viewer to open .avif files by default. It also won't show the thumbnail until I open the image at least once.

1 Like

@Frog , I thought you use XNView?
It supports AVIF on Linux...

1 Like
1 Like

You need to install libheif thumbnailer to solve this issue (See reddit link I posted above).

1 Like

Yes but I can't get it to work ..... it was just installed in version 1.4.3 which was released in Feb some time before that it claimed it would but wasn't actually added .....at least that is the info I found on the web ...... I asked for help in their help forum as to how to use it .....

We'll see if they respond ...... :thinking:

1 Like

Ah, I see. I only found the information saying it was supported. Thanks for updating and correcting that.

1 Like

I updated my gThumb using the links provided above and tried to open the avif files but still no go ..... I went step by step as out lined in Ocka's link but for some reason my screen doesn't look like the one posted in the instructions and I'm supposed to have the very latest version of gThumb .....

When I click on the drop down menu and try to select "Open With" I get a blank selection menu as seen below .... hope you can view it ....

Here is the instructional photo .....

By the way the avif files are not opened automatically in either gThumb or XnView MP ..... Gimp is also supposed to open these files but Gimp is WAY to complicated for my little brain to comprehend ..... :grinning:

1 Like

Can you click "Open with" ?
I see the blank menu bar.

1 Like

Yes that is the open with or at least that's what happens when you click the Open With selection ..... I'm on their website now trying to make heads or tails of this but so far nothing is working I have tried every item I can find but so far nada ..... :dizzy_face:

1 Like

gthumb 3.11.4 is needed.

Note: it should open via Firefox/VLC/Librephoto's/etc, there are many suggestions below in above link

1 Like

I'm running 3.12.2 which is the very latest so it should work ...

I'll check out that link ..... right now I'm trying nomacs photo program it is supposed to work also .....

Thanks

1 Like

My browser Vivaldi also supports avif files and will open them BUT only on Vivaldi if you try and download them they come out as avif again ..... or at least that is my experience ..... but then I'm prone to mistakes .... :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Why oh Why do these developers have to lie about their products ..... when I tried to open a avif file I got this .....

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I decided to close this thread as it appears to be going no where ..... I have spent hours and days trying to find anything that will actually open these files ..... every apt I installed which said they could couldn't ......

So I came up with this solution ..... use a website to open these files at the rate of 10 files per day ..... your limit unless you pay ..... or go to Windows as they offer some programs that are supposed to open them ..... I haven't checked that out yet but as M$ is one of the companies supporting this extension I'm sure they will ....

Thanks for any and all your suggestions .....

1 Like

If you only need to view the files, you don't need a website for that as most modern browsers support the format. Just drag the image file onto a new tab and it will open it for you:

2 Likes

Thanks zen .... Vivaldi downloads these files but I never tried to open them in a new tab ..... let me try it out .... but first I need to download those files again as I deleted them from my computer I wonder if you can save that file you put into a new tab ..... will it save it in a different format or in the avif format ..... I'll check it out and get back to you .....

1 Like

Well so much for that effort ..... now it won't let me even download the images ...... guess I'll just have to wait until I find some more of those avif files ....

I'll post back here when I find some to download ...... thanks again .....

2 Likes