Awesome Gnome Extensions That I Recommend!

Thats the one i used and my system froze, i had to do ctrl+alt+f1 to get out of it. Thats why i tried via synaptic manager to see if that one worked.

See here -> Awesome Gnome Extensions That I Recommend! - #5 by Michel

My system never freeze, this is the first time after installing a extension. Using linux for 2,5 months now.

Thats so weird!

Cause I am using that exact extension on my POP OS installation, and the only difference I can think of, is were running different Nvidia GPU driver versions, and were also running different hardware. Hmm, makes me think...

The nvidia driver is not the issue, using my laptop few hours per day. Tried the extension and changed my wallpaper a few times fast and after that out of the sudden it froze. I can try to to change te wallpaper a few times tommorow like i did yesterday to see if i can replicate it. But i really think it was the extension at my end.

The nvidia driver is not to blame

Gnome-extensions have a reputation for being very fickle. They can interfere with utterly unrelated processes and you must disable each extension, one at a time, trying to suss out which one it is, then try reinstalling it.

1 Like

Is there some logs in linux written somewhere what happend on my end ?

I wish there was a log for extension failures. If there was, we wouldn't be having to:

2 Likes

You know how when you launch an APP via the terminal, and as long as the terminal is kept open, you will get a readout in Terminal on everything the APP is doing, or not doing? A lot of people find this extremely useful, as it helps to hunt down possible issues, such as for example, if you have missing libraries, you will see it in the error code.

It would be really nice, if there was a way that Terminal could be open, while the whole OS is running, and if something goes to garbage on us, we can see it, weather its extensions, or anything System related. Consider it like an active LIVE error readout, kind of like the Matrix on those terminals they used in the movies.

Hmm, now I am starting to think maybe this is why all the DOS lovers were fighting Microsoft on its first GUI back in the day. Some of you may not know this, but Windows 3.1 was getting backlash from DOS users who prefered seeing lines of code scrolling on their terminals back in the day. I am starting to see why lol.

c:\>win

2 Likes

Found a file called "_usr_bin_gnome-shell.1000.crash", that file is created when my system froze.

/var/crash/

https://i.imgur.com/MAdOVjz.png

1 Like

Oooooo, coool! Sounds like the perfect time to post the results of that, so we can all see what the heck is going on over there. If Aravisian finds a piece of code out of line, he will give it the what for. lol

BTW, I like your icons :blush:

It's unreadable, 163mb large and when i open it it uses the text document haha. i trashed it for now.

Let's hope it was the extension that made the the system freeze.

I guess this one does not work with 21.04 release ?

michel@pop-os:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorinos/stable
Pakketbron: ‘deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/zorinos/stable/ubuntu/ hirsute main’
Meer informatie: https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+archive/ubuntu/stable
Pakketbron wordt toegevoegd.
Klik op [ENTER] om door te gaan of Ctrl-c om te annuleren.
Found existing deb entry in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorinos-ubuntu-stable-hirsute.list
Adding deb entry to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorinos-ubuntu-stable-hirsute.list
Found existing deb-src entry in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorinos-ubuntu-stable-hirsute.list
Adding disabled deb-src entry to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorinos-ubuntu-stable-hirsute.list
Adding key to /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/zorinos-ubuntu-stable.gpg with fingerprint B2228B8CCA5C00A2C59D35E530FCF8F64F71B61C
Geraakt:1 Index of /system76/pop/ubuntu hirsute InRelease
Geraakt:2 Index of /wine-builds/ubuntu hirsute InRelease
Geraakt:3 Steam for Linux - launcher stable InRelease
Genegeerd:4 Index of /zorinos/stable/ubuntu hirsute InRelease
Fout:5 Index of /zorinos/stable/ubuntu hirsute Release
404 Not Found [IP: 2001:67c:1560:8008::19 80]
Geraakt:6 Index of /ubuntu hirsute InRelease
Ophalen:7 Index of /ubuntu hirsute-security InRelease [110 kB]
Geraakt:8 Index of /proprietary/ hirsute InRelease
Geraakt:9 https://packages.bluemail.me/repos/debian ./ InRelease
Ophalen:10 Index of /ubuntu hirsute-updates InRelease [115 kB]
Ophalen:11 Index of /ubuntu hirsute-backports InRelease [101 kB]
Pakketlijsten worden ingelezen... Klaar
E: De pakketbron 'Index of /zorinos/stable/ubuntu hirsute Release' heeft geen Release-bestand.
N: Bijwerken van de pakketlijst uit een dergelijke pakketbron kan niet veilig gebeuren en is daarom standaard uitgezet.
N: Zie de man-pagina apt-secure(8) voor details over het aanmaken van een pakketbron en over de configuratie langs gebruikerskant.

uhhh... no... Zorin OS is based on Focal (20.04) not Hirsute (21.04).

Here, have a .deb:
https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+archive/ubuntu/stable/+files/gnome-shell-extension-zorin-window-move-effect_9_all.deb

2 Likes

It's installed thanks, now i need to know how to enable it haha.

1 Like

Tweaks.

I lika the tweaks, the tweaks is good, install it now, do it right now. Load the tweaks, twiddle the fingers, flip the toggles.

You lika my shades too? I got them off a guy with a bad attitude for cheap.

2 Likes

@Aravisian, thanks! i needed to log off to make it visible in here haha.

1 Like

I read this in Arnie accent and it busted me up.

1 Like

Does the appearance app work too ? i am curious now haha.

That was the intention, I am so glad it made you happy! I think this might be the first time I really made you laugh too. :joy: