Awesome Gnome Extensions That I Recommend!

Hello everyone! :slightly_smiling_face:

Recently, we started talking about gnome extensions on the forum, and I realized that I never did tell everybody what extensions that I use. So without further or do, lets talk about the extensions that I use and recommend!

The first one on the list is the Compiz Alike Windows Effect...

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/2950/compiz-alike-windows-effect/

If you have an OS that doesn't come with Jelly Mode like Zorin OS 16 does, or you have a previous version of Zorin OS, this is the extension that works great for me!

The second one on the list that I highly recommend is CPU POWER MANAGER.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/945/cpu-power-manager/

This is a very useful tool, for allowing you to manually set your CPU clocks. It comes with a lot of functionality, including the ability to make your own presets!

Dash to panel is the next one on the list that I like...
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1160/dash-to-panel/

If you don't like the panel provided to you by your OS, then I recommend Dash To Panel! It also comes with a lot of functionality, a lot of customization, to allow you to have the panel you want.

Extensions Update Notifier...
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/797/extension-update-notifier/

We always get notified when we have system updates, but we never get notified of extension updates. This way you never miss an update for your extensions ever again.

Sound INPUT/OUTPUT Device Changer...
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/906/sound-output-device-chooser/

Do you ever feel like your computer never listens to you? I do everyday and I swear its causing me to have a complex! With this nifty extension, I am able to select the audio output device, its quicker then going into Pulse Audio and doing it there.

Lastly, you may notice that my system has the ability to choose the GPU that I want to use, its a feature built into POP OS. But here's the thing, you can have it too on Zorin OS. Just install Prime Indicator extension...

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1275/prime-indicator/

This basically does the same thing, its all about giving you more control over your system. Some of these things can be done in terminal, but its so much easier to use a GUI, especially when its at your fingertips!

Now, my Zorin workstation only has one GPU, the integrated Intel, so the Prime Indicator would be of no use to me. But if that machine had dual GPU's, like my main machine does, that is a very useful extension to have!

These are must have extensions in my book, I hope that this post has brought value, and helped you out in some way. Thank you for your time, and have a wonderful day on Zorin OS 16, or whatever distro that you are using! :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Wow dude, your processor's clock speed is 4.5 GHz, whereas mine is at 2.3 GHz. Slow and sluggish :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:, Neither do I have Turbo Boost :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Nice share

2 Likes

Your kidding right? My CPU can clock all the way to 5GHZ according to Intel SPEC sheet. But for safety, MSI set the max clock in the BIOS to 4.8GHZ. You see the setting that says HIGH PERFORMANCE? OK, well, I have that one set to 4.8GHZ.

I also feel it important to note, that in my BIOS, I have also set a -50mv undervolt offset, this is to help bring thermals down a bit. Combine that with a solid AFMAT cooler pad with blowers, and I am good to go! If you want to know more about my computer, please click link below.
MSI GE76-231 Raider Notebook

Thanks guys for the kind words, I appreciate it!

3 Likes

Today i installed compiz through gnome extensions to get the jelly mode Zorin comes with (Compiz windows effect - GNOME Shell Extensions). After switching wallpaper a few times my laptop froze. Could not do anything and had never freezing issues on this laptop so i uninstalled compiz and the gnome extension plugin in firefox.

CTRL + ALT + F1, login and good to go.

what does sudo apt install compiz-core do ? tried to install it it did not add anything new in extensions. So i used the command "compiz" in the terminal, couldnt load it said but i could try to use "compiz --replace" ... tried it and got a error and it logged me off. So signed in again and thankfully it shows my desktop (didnt test on my test driver) and uninstalled it haha.

Gnome no longer allows for Compiz or Fusion. To use either, you must install Classic Gnome or use Compiz on a Different Desktop Environment.

Compiz on Gnome will just crash Gnome and Gnome-shell, each and every time.

You mean freeze the desktop ? like i had with the extension. Now i wonder which one is used in Zorin.

1 Like

The Gnome-Shell-Extension in the Zorin repo is zorin-window-move-effect.

1 Like

Is it possible to use it on a different distro ? If yes how ?

Add Zorin Repository

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorinos/stable

Then install the extension:

sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-zorin-window-move-effect

1 Like

Thanks, this i will test later on my test drive to make sure it works right.

When finished:

sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:zorinos/stable

To ensure that conflicting Zorin OS packages do not cause problems on the other distro.

1 Like

Will do, thanks again.

1 Like

I just run
gnome-extensions list
for the first time and was surprised to see a list of 24 extensions.

Since I did not install any of those myself, it did not even register in mind that I am using those extensions.

It goes to show how much configuring Zorin does to make Gnome usable on it.:expressionless:

And if any of those extensions break or conflict... house of cards...

2 Likes

:derelict_house: :scream:

1 Like

That house looks... Abandoned.

1 Like

:house: :houses: :house_with_garden:

I looked but there was no card house :frowning:

2 Likes

Michel, why did you install Compiz? If you look at my original post, you will see I provided instructions on how to get Zorin's Jelly mode, without needing anything to do with Compiz. I gave clear instructions to Gnome-Extensions website.

There is a link I provided for the Compiz Alike Wobbly Windows, AKA like Jelly Mode on Zorin OS 16. And for the record, it does work on POP OS, thats one of the reasons I posted it, to bring it to attention to people who might be on other OS's, but are on the Zorin forum.

Nobody told you to install Compiz, in the words of Luke Skywalker, its a hunk of junk. Thats why it froze your computer, stay away from it.

Compiz works perfectly well on XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon... It's just Gnome that rejects Compiz.
And wobbly windows look less pixelated on actual Compiz.