Beware installing old games in Plasma!

Just a bit of advice on installing old games on Plasma, especially where X11 option is available at login.

I fell foul again (first time was MX-Linux 23.1 KDE with air combat sim gl-117) installing 'barrage' from 'Discover' (=Software) this time in KDE neon. Upon launching the game it crashed the display with an "OUT OF RANGE" message across the middle of the monitor. I booted into Wayland and removed the program via Discover. However I decided to do a search for barrage in / and it came back with a .deb package in /var/cache/apt/archives. I had to 'chown' archives in order to delete the barrage .deb file, but still had the issue of 'Out of Range' on reboot.

The solution? I booted into Wayland and followed the last post from:

The only thing I needed to alter was the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset"

where previously it had been set to "quiet splash"

After making changes, Ctrl+ O, to write out the changes followed by enter, then Ctrl+ X to exit then:

sudo update-grub

I did follow the advice of following on with

sudo apt update

but came back with everything up to date.

[UPDATE 11.02.2024 20:03 GMT - changing to just nomodeset meant I could not get the Zorin Plymouth theme working any more so, to resolve the issue the line reads:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset quiet splash"

and now I have my favourite Plymouth theme back up and running;

1 Like

Update: please note this is on KDE neon (Plasma 5.27) also based on Ubuntu 22.04 after I tried to launch an old game, Barrage. No matter what I tried, I could not get X11 back. The only thing that worked for me was to choose an earlier kernel in recovery mode and install nvidia 525 drivers for my GT1030. Interestingly, posts on earlier versions of KDE neon warn against using nouveau drivers, the open source drivers for nvidia cards. If anyone is tempted to install an old game and play it, before installing take a snapshot of your system with Timeshift.

Thanks for that info. Could really use some knowledge.