I updated my system on Tuesday night, and when I went to use it again on Wednesday, I noticed that some applications had stopped working correctly; when I open them, the screen goes completely black or fails to display information, even though the data is actually there.
So far, I’ve noticed the issue with OpenDeck and Bruno API Client (which I need for work).
Could someone help me?
uname
-r 7.0.0-34-generic
ZorinOS 18
RTX3080
1 Like
opendeck and bruno are both electron apps. after a tuesday update that black window with the data still "there" is usually the gpu compositor choking on them.
try this first:
- log out, pick Zorin on Xorg at the login gear, open those two again.
- if they work on Xorg, you are on a Wayland+electron bug. stay on Xorg or launch with:
bruno --disable-gpu
(same flag for opendeck if its binary takes it)
also paste:
glxinfo -B | head -15
and say nvidia / amd / intel.
I managed to fix the problem by removing the cached fonts.
rm -rf ~/.cache/fontconfig
fc-cache -r -v
4 Likes
I'm also experiencing the same issue. After updating the system yesterday, I noticed that one application (so far) shows only a blank screen when trying to open it just like OP's. In my case it is Stremio (flatpak).
I tried these but none worked:
- restarting the pc;
- reinstalling stremio (flatpak);
- deleting flatpak dir
~/.var/app/com.stremio.Stremio/
- logging with Xorg and launching Stremio (as @nite_route suggested)
Also, I'm using an integrated Intel GPU.
$ uname -r
7.0.0-34-generic
$ glxinfo -B | head -15
name of display: :0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device: Mesa Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics (RPL-U) (0xa7a1)
Version: 25.2.8
Accelerated: yes
Video memory: 15691MB
Unified memory: yes
Preferred profile: core (0x1)
Max core profile version: 4.6
Max compat profile version: 4.6
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
edit: grammar
for flatpak stremio the host fontconfig wipe doesnt always hit the sandbox cache
id try
-rm -rf ~/.var/app/com.stremio.Stremio/cache/fontconfig
-flatpak repair com.stremio.Stremio
-open stremio again
if its still blank
-flatpak run --command=sh com.stremio.Stremio
-inside that shell: rm -rf "$XDG_CACHE_HOME/fontconfig" && fc-cache -r
-exit then launch normal
paste flatpak info com.stremio.Stremio if that still fails
1 Like
Hello, mate, thanks for helping me!
Unfortunately neither solution worked for me, I still get a blank screen after launching the app. And rebooting or updating the system didn't change anything.
Trying to do the same after logging in with Xorg didn't work either.
I also tried launching with flatpak run com.stremio.Stremio just to be sure (which I believe is no different from doing it from the App Drawer) and got the error message bellow. I'm not sure if this is relevant to the issue but I thought there's no harm in mentioning it. And, to be fair, I don't think I've ever launched Stremio from the command line when it was working so I can't say if these errors are new or not.
$ flatpak run com.stremio.Stremio
(node:4) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.
(Use to show where the warning was created)
(node:4) [DEP0060] DeprecationWarning: The API is deprecated. Please use Object.assign() instead.
(node:4) [DEP0040] DeprecationWarning: The module is deprecated. Please use a userland alternative instead.
Cannot load libcuda.so.1
And here is the output for flatpak info:
$ flatpak info com.stremio.Stremio
Stremio - Freedom to Stream
ID: com.stremio.Stremio
Ref: app/com.stremio.Stremio/x86_64/stable
Arch: x86_64
Branch: stable
Version: 1.2.0
License: GPL-3.0-only
Origin: flathub
Collection: org.flathub.Stable
Installation: system
Installed: 133,3 MB
Runtime: org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/50
Sdk: org.gnome.Sdk/x86_64/50
Commit: 7580e7db921fc46aa1cca51623ec404b5a313dd5868ece9506cac4a42ed92131
Parent: c5635c60c515c534eab459d19677b0b1196e9a1fc64beeac72d94d901311dc8c
Subject: Merge pull request #75 from flathub/master-update (d68e642d97ac)
Date: 2026-08-03 09:28:38 +0000
Cannot load libcuda.so.1 on an intel igpu is the flatpak looking for nvidia cuda that isnt there.
id try:
-flatpak run --env=LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 com.stremio.Stremio
-or: flatpak override --user --nosocket=wayland --socket=x11 com.stremio.Stremio
-then: rm -rf ~/.var/app/com.stremio.Stremio/cache/GPUCache ~/.var/app/com.stremio.Stremio/cache/ShaderCache
-flatpak run com.stremio.Stremio
if its still blank:
-flatpak update com.stremio.Stremio
-flatpak run --command=stremio com.stremio.Stremio --disable-gpu
1 Like
I feel so dumb right now.
After getting fed up, I reinstalled Stremio for the umpteenth time and decided to go through every advice in this thread again. And that's when I realized I might have forgotten to run fc-cache -r -v after deleting the fontconfig files the previous times. When I ran the command, Stremio finally opened normally.
Also, even when working normally, launching Stremio using flatpak run still throws the libcuda.so.1 error so I guess it had nothing to do with the current issue.
Anyways, thanks for helping me, @nite_route . I really appreciate it, mate! 
1 Like
@nite_route just one more quick question:
I'm fairly new to linux and all so is there a way for me to know that regenerating the font files is the answer to the problem next time something like this happens?
edit: I ask it because @joaocesarfernandes seemed to get it right away.
nah no magic flag. blank electron/webview w/ the window still "there" after an update is fontconfig a lot of the time on zorin lately
quick check next time:
-rm -rf ~/.cache/fontconfig ~/.var/app/*/cache/fontconfig
-fc-cache -r -v
-reopen the app
if that fixes it, it was fonts. if not then xorg / --disable-gpu / libgl stuff
2 Likes