Blank screen after installing the latest updates

I had not used my Zorin Computer for over a month and today it called for updates. It said that some packages will be removed (not sure of the exact words) and a new system will be installed. I went ahead with that but now when it boots I get first the Zorin Logo then a few minutes later "ZORIN" on the screen, I see the hard disk activity for some time and the screen goes blank and a cursor blinks on the tom left hand side. No login screen that I usually see. I push the power button and I see disk activity like I see during a normal shutdown and the PC powers off. Turning it on results in the same issue. I am running Zorin OS 16.1, 64 bit,Windows System X11.
I rebooted again and pressed the ESC key, got a menu selected Advanced and got the option of several kernels to boot and so I selected then second kernel on the list "Zorin, with Linux 5.13.0.39-generic". This came up fine and I am able to login. My PC does have a Nvidia Integrated Graphics card. I am running Zorin on a ASUS ET2700 All-in one Computer.

Any help appreciated.

Yesterday the 5.13.0.40-generic kernel was rolled out. Seems your hardware has issues with it. for now stick with the 5.13.0.39-generic kernel.

Thank you very much @rumplin
I am trying to find a way to make 5.13.0.390-generic the default kernel and am trying to finding a way to do that.
I was also thinking of removing 5.13.0.40-generic altogether.
Trying to find ways to do that.
If you can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you.

You can remove with:

sudo apt remove linux-headers-5.13.0.40-generic linux-modules-5.13.0.40-generic linux-modules-extra-5.13.0.40-generic linux-image-5.13.0.40-generic

Thank you very much @Aravisian
I will make 5.13.0.39-generic my default kernel.
Cheers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.