Blue tooth adapter not recognised -Zorin 15.3

You may try compiling from this git clone https://github.com/MingxuZhang/rtl8821cu/... worked for someone else with similar issue. The thread is USB Wifi 5 -- BT + AC600 Driver free not functioning

The same driver may support multiple devices, so don't discount it (and you mentioned the same above).

1 Like

Ok, I was also looking back @ mrmagoo's suggestion, but I suspect he is not on Zorin as he talks about being able to upgrade to kernel 13

So summary is that despite everything, the current kernel is possibly not doing what we want? And I can't get any further than .11 - which I think is what I have?

As a top of my head - I need to check the kernel number installed again - BUT, if i went back to .10, assuming I have 11, might that be worth a try?

It is worth trying, yes.

You Can install higher than 5.11. Just not directly from the Zorin Bionic repo.

Zorin 16 is on 5.16.0-69

It may work. Reboot and hold shift so you can choose the advanced menu at grub, then select a previous kernel for boot. If it works we can make it permanent.

Upgrading to zorin 16 may resolve this issue without kernel customization.

Hiya @337harvey , long time no hear from.
That was my first idea, but then, does that not auto update very time Zorin updates?

First you confirm that it works. Then you can use apt-mark hold [package-name] to keep it from updating.

OK guys;
thx for that @337harvey turns out to me a moot point.

@Aravisian seems I jumped from 5.4 to 5.11- switching back to 5.4 of course, kills the AX210 card~

Can I share your banging wall?

While in the 5.4, tether to your phone and install the 5.10 kernel.... then [HOW TO] set an older kernel to default boot

You can use How to upgrade Zorin 16.2 to a newer kernel to install Ubuntu mainline, then install the 5.10 kernel.

Sorry, my mind is mush - how do i get a 5.10 kernel?
I read about it the other day, but now, ??

But hang on, when I was surfing the other day for updated kernels I found reference to download linux 15.? something at least.

So, is the catch here that they only run on Ubuntu 20 plus?

would this work?
Going to take my long overdue tea break now.
No hurry to reply.

In case the information is of any use here, I am on Z15.3 Core (but 64bit not 32bit). Last kernel update I received was 5.4.0-146 on 28/03/2023.

I might be late to this thread given the activity, but I have questions if you don't mind.

• On plugin while running
    journalctl -f
    what is the output or relevant errors shown?

• have you checked to see if the driver is loaded?
    lsusb -t
    will show you what drivers(if any) are recognized and loaded into the kernel and relevant to the usb device.

• what drivers are in-kernel, are they the ones you installed?
    lsmod
    will show all drivers loaded into the kernel

• after unplug/replug share the output of:
    systemctl --failed

That was me, and it's different hardware altogether, while that driver might work, the path to resolution is unclear, meaning I feel this is a guess, unless you're seeing something I'm not linking that git repo with the specific hardware?

Thx @geekdad - yes, different hardware etc, but, what ever you throw in the air, some might just stick - meaning maybe someone can take that and go forward with it. So thanks again for your input.

Ahh @zabadabadoo, yeah, I remember, we discussed, at some length, the issue of sound in Zorin 15.3 a year or so back. Bluetooth, like the sound issue is something that has plagued Linux, or at lest Ubuntu for seemingly ever.
Then we wonder why people prefer to stick with Windows~
I mean look around, what doesn't run off bluetooth these days? Even my almost decade old Samsung note runs BT devices no hassle.
Anyway rant aside, you can enable BT?
But I guess not using an Intel AX210 card?

See the very bottom of this post:

That's the latest firmware file for the AX210. That should get bluetooth working.

I had posted a link for you to install the mainline repository and command so you can easily install the 5.10 kernel. It was How to upgrade Zorin 16.2 to a newer kernel. This should work for your version of Zorin as well. If it doesn't, we can look at adding a repo for Ubuntu 18 (zorin 15 base).

Hello, can I just clarify what Linux you are running please?
I am 18.4 Ubuntu - Zorin 15.3

I am not confident enough to be messing round with kernels from version 20. something.
Cheers

'morning @337harvey , yes, I saw that and quickly read it. I've sort of cooled on going back, given the comment that even version 5.10 was dodgy.

Now more focused on trying to find a way to go to at least version 5.12 or above. Something more definite. If we can maybe it will be beneficial for others. I mean @zabadabadoo and I can't be the only 15.3 diehards and at some point, someone might want to install an AX210 card.

@Mr_Magoo's suggestion looks promising if I could be sure it would work on 15.3 without crashing the entire system. I've played around with kernel before with disastrous results, not keen to relive that experience.