Can the performance of Intels integrated CPU (i5-12400) be improved?

Finally got Zorin OS working with my 12400 by updating to kernel 5.17.15 (see here).

However, for instance, when I scroll in Firefox or move windows in Zorin OS, it seems that the performance on Windows is significantly better. It is not a bad performance, but I can really feel the difference. Are there ways to improve that?

You can check Firefox settings and enable/ disable hardware acceleration. That usually fixes most graphical issues in Firefox.

Is it only in Firefox (scrolling issue)?

I'll test that. However, it seems that Zorin OS itself is also affected, e.g. when moving windows.

At 4k, what 120Hz refresh rate, I'm sure if you show the contents of the windows while dragging it will take a performance hit. It must redraw the window in each position as you pass over it, at a high refresh to. You can install gnome tweaks....i believe there is one to adjust transparency of windows. You could also disable the show contents while dragging.

I would rather defer to @Storm, @Ocka, and @Aravisian for graphics performance though.

Thank you!

Though 2 x 4K with each 60 Hz on a 12400 should be no problem I think. On windows I ran this on way older hardware. The scrolling issue is also present in Chrome. Fractional scaling is disabled.

Are the iGPU drivers from Intel or are they from the community? Maybe it is bad driver support?

The kernels I stated were the first to have native support for this processor (as CPU or GPU). It is most likely community, though you may be hard pressed to find Intel drivers for Linux. Search the internet and you may find an answer.... I'm not sure.

So I got a recent mainline kernel, configured it with my last running config from 21.10 before the update, made the debs and installed them, and now can tell that a mainline kernel 5.17.7 with all the dkms modules that i had before which got compiled automatically at installation brings back a "normal" performance.

Source:

That series may be the earliest working kernel for that chipset.

I would try a later or patched kernel. Honestly, I would go with the TuxInvader kernel, on this one.

3 Likes

What do you mean by TuxInvader kernel? The 5.17.7? In that case I would need to downgrade, because I now have 5.17.15, correct?

1 Like

I did try the newer kernels, even 6.1, but the performance was about the same. Maybe I really need a graphics card to compensate the inferior driver support.

Hmmm ... when I used an Intel NUC8 it was exactly the same. Superior performance in Windows, inferior in Linux. To be honest I have big doubts if 22.04 would even bring a percentage more performance.

The performance is integral due to a bad coding inside the old 5 - series kernel.
Just perform an upgrade inside your Zorin to the, at least, release-declared Kernel-version 6.1.15 (16 is still in testing, alpha-stage at this moment !).
Read about the instructions for this HERE (click)

You'll notice a major improvement on CPU-managements and in faster boottimes and heat-handling of the system.

Tip: only uninstall older kernels if you really are sure Zorin on YOUR system runs perfectly fine.

The reason behind the 'improvement' is that dual-core adressing on Quad-cores or 4 threads having dualcores, is now better managed. So no longer 2 cores in overdrive (Turbo Speeds), but real use of the processor's potentionals (if vacant of course). The Micro-code was altered in the first place, and the kernel-managements on the processor more put in a reality. So my i7 - 840 QM does not overheat anymore as it did in original Zorin-kernel , and plus I have a much better snappy feeling on everything. I'm sure you'll notice the difference, and as advice: only update (or upgrade) the kernel I suggested for you, when a new patch-version comes out through the Mainline-Channel. 6.2.2. has, however, now the Broadcom-drivers standard built in the Kernel ! So no real need maybe for having the latest of the latest .... Testing is of course a part of the communities tasks. lol

Because iGPUs have no dedicated VRAM, the speed of the main memory directly affects performance.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.