Can't Install Gnome 40/41 In My Zorin Os!

I also don't do but that time I was in hurry so😕

Is there any way to shrink partition like windows 🪟

1 Like

There is..but you will need a bootable usb of any linux distro.

1 Like

Yaa I have

2 Likes

Great! Then i am assuming it has gnome. :grin:So boot into it and click on the try option. Then open the gnome disks utility or simply "Disks". Then click the partition you want to shrink and click the gear icon (I don't remember exactly but I think it is a gear icon). And then click "resize partition", and resize it using the slidebar. Once you click apply/ok button it will start editting the partition as desired.

1 Like

I have linux mint😶

1 Like

I have linux mint cinnamon

1 Like

It does not matter...you can install gparted in linux mint without even installing linux mint. And I think you would be more comfortable with gparted because you are familiar with it.

1 Like

Ok then

But sure na that data will not erase

1 Like

You will be only allowed to shrink by that much space that has not been used. JUST DON'T FORMAT THE DISK OR DELETE THE PARTITION.

1 Like

Thank :blush:,
Can you give me any webpage link for how to do. For safety only.

Cuz I know I will definitely make mistake while I am doing it by my self

2 Likes

Here this tutorial contains the guide for shrinking partition using gparted....

I also recommend to keep a backup...just in case.
Also don't create a partition using the unallocated space. Instead use the unallocated space to install the desired os using the installer. By clicking "something else" during installation.

1 Like

I have a question though....Are you planning to dual boot?

1 Like

Ya I am trying dual boot,

While I also like the concept of dual booting or even multi booting linux, having two different home directories for different operating systems does not sound very productive. But again, you are the master of your own decisions.

It is NOT recommended to attempt to use gnome 40 on Zorin OS, any version. Zorin is optimized to work with its versions specific version of gnome. Gnome changes things enough in each version that it WILL BREAK your system. You will find things not working, unthemable, broken themes, applications will fail to start. This will force you to reinstall unless you track every library upgraded and it's version. Kde, XFCE, Cinnamon, LXDE or any of the other DE's would be safer than attempting gnome 40+. You do this at your own peril.

4 Likes

When ubuntu 22.04 LTS get released it will take 1,5 half year for zorin to create zorin 17. They are way behind things. Zorin OS 16 is based on 20.04 and that version came in august 2021.

There are many distro's using the latest gnome already. If you want that you should just switch. Zorin 16 will not get gnome 40/41. Same counts for kernel 5.13 and 5.15. I don't think you will see that either on Zorin 16.

2 Likes

A better option would be to leave install as is and use Virtual machine manager to run other OS's.

1 Like

This is not completely accurate. Some of the 21.04 release has been integrated in zorin already. You will notice we are in kernel 5.11.4+. 21.04 started in the 5.11 kernel, around 5.11.38 i believe, but don't hold me to that. We already have the cpu and gpu improvements that came with that kernel. The updates we have been receiving have been placing us in an imbetween of Ubuntu versions. Even Ubuntu 21.04 started out with gnome 3.38, as did zorin 16.

Just because zorin is based on one version of Ubuntu does not mean that the subsequent subversions do not include newer versions of Ubuntu. It's not described as such, though, because it does not include all of Ubuntu 21 modifications. It's a mix and match that won't crash zorin and will provide new or optimized features that makes Zorin faster and more stable than Ubuntu.

We very well could see kernel 5.12 maybe even 5.13 before zorin 17 is released. It will be about two years, but that doesn't mean that the Zorin's are behind... they only release tested, optimized versions... even for alpha's. What will take some time is working in requested tweaks, features, firmware and kernel. What they strive for is a stable solution more than a rolling one.

Any features, customizations, applications to include (even DE-wise) should be on the table now so you will see those things integrated into the next version or even a new subversion. Like KDE as the new Zorin Core version... integrated window tiling similar to popOS, more support for fingerprint readers and so many other possibilities (just naming a few that have been mentioned here).

4 Likes

Very Well Said.
Too much attention is paid to "I only care about seeing a higher version number" without paying attention to what that number actually means or paying attention to stability and performance.

2 Likes

So When The Zorin 17 Will Come .
Any guess?
Very Excited😃