Code On Start Up Preventing Access

Ok, I think I followed the steps right. Here is an example of what I got after running sudo apt update:

Let's check line 26; it is still complaining that something is configured multiple times.

This is the Gedit file

That looks correct to me...

However, once I turned my brain on and practiced a bit of reading comprehension; I realized my mistake.
Your terminal output mentions the archived entries in /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory.
Can we see a screenshot of the contents of that folder?

err, sorry how do I get there? (still brand new to linux)

I copy and paste to spare myself extra typing. :wink:

You can double click the sources.list.d folder to open it.

Got it! Sources List folder:

Remember - you must be Elevated to Root Privileges to change, remove or modify files within Root.

The first two entries are your culprit - a copy was placed here (Probably system backup) that is also present as a source in the sources.list file. This makes the copy in the sources.list.d redundant. There are Two:
file-name.list
file-name.list.save
You can right click on both of them and move to trash or delete safely since the full source is already placed in your sources.list file.

Once that is done, run sudo apt update in terminal and check that you are in the clear.

these two gotta go? right click delete?

1 Like

Yep, go for it.
It's safe and...
Even if that were to go wrong somehow, I can just provide you a new copy.

hmm, not allowing me to delete. do i need to go back into terminal for root privileges?

Yes, you must be elevated to Root Privileges in order to make any changes within Root.

sudo -i

nautilus

Navigate the hoops to jump through again...
Other locations
Computer
etc
apt
sources.list.d

And you will now be able to delete the files with right click (Or move to the Roots home/trash directory, that is).

Look good?

Over-all, yes. There does seem to be some issue with the openvpn repository, not sure if you feel like digging into that. It will not affect the code on startup or your general packages like the Ubuntu archive or Zorin Repositories would.
If you prefer at this point, you can just move back to

sudo apt install linux-generic-6.06

oh ok, and what does that command do?

That installs the Linux 6.6.5 kernel.
At this point, I also forget where we were at... I think we were trying the later kernel to see if the later kernel would resolve the "wrong sizes (values)" message at boot.

Yes that's right. I currently have three outstanding issues, the icon and menu sizes in various apps (which we're discussing in a separate thread), the missing power management button in the system tray menu (also open in another thread) and an unrelated one where I'm trying to uninstall default apps on my degoogled android phone via ADB platform tools in the Terminal.

So far, not making much progress with any :joy:

so this will install the 6.6.5 kernel taking me back to the kernel I was on previously?

sudo apt install linux-generic-6.06

I think you are currently on the 6.5 kernel and upgrading to the 6.6(.5) kernel.

Oh well it installed. You must reboot to boot into the later kernel.
You may see the same errors still, due to the initial boot in choosing the new kernel on that first reboot.