Configure Zorin Connect to connect to iPhone

Wondering how to connect your iphone to Zorin Connect? I found an answer so i figure i'd put it here.

1. Install the KDE Connect app on iPhone - completely compatible with Zorin Connect.

2. Enter the following command:

sudo ufw allow 1714:1764/udp && sudo ufw allow 1714:1764/tcp

What does this do? Opens the 1714 and 1764 ports normally blocked by the Gnome Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw). These are necessary to connect to the KDE Connect app.

1. Refresh listings on phone and pc and it will connect just fine
3 Likes

@Wozak Thanks it works perfectly on ios 17.0

Hmmm is it safe, I guess there is a reason why port 1714:1764 is blocked by gnome

If you have UFW enabled, the UFW (Uncomplicated FireWall) may not be allowing access. I do not believe the GNome Desktop blocks those ports, nor that it would have any incentive to do so.

If UFW is enabled, you can allow access with the command posted by @Wozak

sudo ufw allow 1714:1764/udp && sudo ufw allow 1714:1764/tcp

Yes firewall activated but I'm not sure I want to use that guid anyway have had too many problems in windows with ports I've opened and shouldn't

I can understand trepidation, but in the end, if you do not allow access, you cannot complain that your device lacks access.

It is noteworthy that this is Linux, not Windows.

1 Like

You could always look up what service the port numbers are assigned.

A quick search has provided the following page: Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry. Which is the port numbers starting around 1699. This clearly shows that the proprietary kde connect service, sesi-im, is assigned to that port. This makes sense.

If you flip to page 31, you will find 1746, which is the ftrapid service. You can Google this as well, but common sense the service is file transfer rapid. Again, an expected service on an application that connects to and communicates with your smart phone.

Paranoia is all fine and good, but at some point you need to investigate what your computer needs to function. Ignorance feeds paranoia and fear. Understanding will allow a calmer, informed use of your computer.

It is safe to open these two ports since kde connect has never and does not now allow or include advertisements, are not reported as spam or maleware and are used by millions of people.

Yes, you're right if I knew what, where, but as I'm a total newbie when it comes to linux, sorry

1 Like

I'm aware of that, but caution is necessary when you don't understand the system, and I'm not complaining, but maybe asking a lot of stupid questions

1 Like

If you aren't sure, search. It is the best way to get understanding. Most of us are volunteers with no computer training. A few of us have computer training. What people don't realize is that we search, and have found keywords that allow for us to find solutions for just about any problem.

In your searches, use "Ubuntu 20" as this is what Zorin is based on.

Keywords are ideal, instead of full sentences. How you word it will be the defining factor. What you have questions about are what will drive you, but be open to adding questions and changing the questions to find answers.

Being new to Linux doesn't mean your experience with computers is irrelevant, it's only applied differently.

I will be more careful in the future

This makes a lot of sense and I do not believe you have asked any "stupid questions".
I am, at times, too rushed going from one thread to the next and am too brief in my posts (While other times, I am too wordy).

I use KDEConnect on Zorin OS Lite with 1714:1716 ports permitted and have for years, now.

1 Like

That isn't what I meant. I was sharing to enlighten you as to what had helped us help others.

Please don't take it that I'm talking down to you or admonishing you for your question. It is a valid one.

This is a learning experience beyond what you asked. It will help you in the future.

Not all problems are resolvible by searching. Sometimes it takes creative solutions with further understanding than you have... and that's fine. That doesn't mean all questions and issues are beyond your ability.

That's all I'm saying.

I've been trying for a long time now but can't connect my iPhone. When Zorin 17 pro became available I installed it and now I can connect my iPhone with KDE connect, I can ping, call and find iPhone, but I can't send sms. Am I making a mistake or do I need to install something. I read somewhere that Zorin connect and Kde connect conflict so I uninstalled Zorin connect but that didn't help

While the poster of this Tutorial & Guide suggests that iPhone will work on KDE-Connect, I have never tested this.

iPhone is proprietary and may not be fully supported. It was never Apple's intention that it be run on or used with KDE-Connect and any update or change to the iPhone software may change the users experience.

1 Like

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this taken to troubleshoot and potentially fix the problem. A few step are here:-
On iPhone:-
1. Check Handoff and Continuity Settings:-
-Open the Settings app on your iPhone. Go to "General" and then "Handoff & Suggested Apps." & Make sure that "Handoff" is toggled on.
2. Enable Calls on Other Devices:-
-In the Settings app, go to "Phone." Tap on "Calls on Other Devices." Ensure that "Allow Calls on Other Devices" is toggled on. & You should also see your iPad listed under "Allow Calls On," and it should have the switch toggled on.
3. Ensure Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are On:-
-Handoff and Continuity features rely on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Make sure both are turned on.
On iPad:-
1. Check Handoff and Continuity Settings:-
-Open the Settings app on your iPad. Go to "General" and then "Handoff & Suggested Apps." & Make sure that "Handoff" is toggled on.
2. Enable Calls from iPhone:-
-In the Settings app, go to "FaceTime." & Toggle on the switch next to "Calls from iPhone."
3. Verify Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Settings:-
-Ensure that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on in the iPad's Control Center or the Settings app.
On Both iPhone and iPad:-
1. Sign Out and Sign Back In:-
-On both devices, sign out of your Apple ID and then sign back in. This can be done in the Settings app under your Apple ID.
2. Update iOS:-
-Ensure that both your iPhone and iPad are running the latest version of iOS. Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
3. Restart Devices:-
-Restart both your iPhone and iPad. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues.

After performing these steps, check if the issue persists. If the problem continues, follow for more details instruction below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM3NUotPu90&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

Another way to connect an iphone to an Ubuntu/Zorin desktop is to install a package called ifuse. Once installed, create a mount point in your home directory by creating a folder for iPhone called iphone.

mkdir ~/iphone

Connect phone to computer. Verify that it is mounted by:

lsusb

you should see your apple device if it is mounted. Make sure you accept the phone's permissions to trust your computer. If it is listed then do:

ifuse ~/iphone

sometimes one has to try and mount the phone several times to the computer followed by the above command.

Once mounted, one should see the various folders in the iPhone including one's pictures and other files. Use your favorite picture viewer to see your phone's pictures.

Once done with the phone, make sure to unmount the phone before disconnecting it from computer:

sudo umount ~/iphone

I picked this handy tip from a YouTube video. Done properly, it works every time.

Here is the YouTube video describing the above:

using ifuse to connect iphone to computer

I hope this helps...

I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by contacting Poster might not be working on your iPhone, and here are some steps you can try to fix it:-
1. Enable Name & Photo Sharing:- This allows you to share your contact information, including the poster, with others. Go to Phone app > Contacts > My Card > Contact Photo & Poster, and ensure "Name & Photo Sharing" is toggled on.
2. Show My Caller ID:- Some carriers might have an option to disable Caller ID, which can also affect Contact Poster. Check your carrier settings or contact them to ensure "Show My Caller ID" is enabled.
3. Restart your iPhone:- A simple restart can often resolve temporary glitches.
4. Edit and Save Contact Card:- Open the contact card, tap "Edit," then tap the name or photo area again. Make a minor edit and save the changes. This might trigger an update and refresh the Contact Poster.
5. Recreate Contact Card:- If the issue persists, try deleting the problematic contact and recreating it with your desired information and photo.
More details assistance below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIxDWcpJA3c&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

I've tried all your suggestions but I still can't see messages.
Have decided to buy an android phone because it has no problem with SMS.

2 Likes

That is the problem with Apple. I like their products but not the closed ecosystem. I did have an Android phone and it was nice to customize it to my liking, but here I am with an Apple phone :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like