Continually missing operand statement

I was a bit too confident in hoping to get my secondary internal hard drive cleared after Z15 and put it to use as storage.
Got it erased and formatted ok with a single partition; but can't write to it. There is a single directory there called lost and found, with a X on it. The ability to create directories is greyed out.
I searched on here and found this post:

about changing the ownership from root to me, and followed the sudo chown instructions....
... every permutation I've tried, I keep getting the missing operand statement. I've driven myself up the wall trying to see where I'm going wrong.
sudo chown -R myname:myname/media/myname/dev/sda
also dev/sda1 and devsda and devsda1
None of them get me past the operand barbed wire fence.
Apart from the -R, are there any spaces in the command instruction? (I tried them anyway, still didn't work).
I am missing something probably very obvious, but what?
(goodnight all, will catch up tomorrow)

This statement suggests that the partition in question was not fully formatted.

Thanks for that. I will have to revisit the issue during this weekend and have another go.

I think I've sorted it. I went back and just repeated the formatting process, using Disks. For whatever reason, after the process had completed, it gave me a hard drive that I could write to and create directories on....nothing greyed out. I shall not question it any further... :person_shrugging:

I personally prefer to use Gparted. Just select the drive / partition, select 'delete' then 'apply'. Then create new partituon. If going to use for Timeshift snapshots, be sure it is formatted to same file system as the OS.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.