Continued problems sharing external drives over Wi-Fi

Hello, all...

My original and still-unresolved problem is/was sharing data from an external drive connected to a Zorin computer with a Windows computer, over my Wi-Fi network. This issue was covered in detail, in a previous post: Problems sharing external drives from Zorin computer to Windows computers

I thought the situation might be remedied by working with two Zorin computers, instead of involving a Windows machine. Sadly, the problem persists! I'm not able to share/network any data from an external drive, despite confirming ownership is set to me, and all sharing permissions are established, including permissions for "Others". Every such setting that works for a successful share of a Zorin INTERNAL-drive folder fails completely, for sharing EXTERNAL-drive folders. The two screenshots below indicate what happens, when attempting to access external-drive resources via the local network.

I'm really at a loss here, and I would appreciate any thoughts on getting the external drive to properly share as a networked resource.

Thank you.

Screenshot-Zorin-2022-0802A
Screenshot-Zorin-2022-0802B

Do you have the firewall enabled? Did you allow traffic for sharing (should be added automatically but you can check).

Or if you want to do it explicitly:

sudo ufw allow proto tcp to any port 135 
sudo ufw allow proto udp to any port 137 
sudo ufw allow proto udp to any port 138 
sudo ufw allow proto tcp to any port 139 
sudo ufw allow proto tcp to any port 445 
sudo ufw allow proto udp to any port 5353

The first few five rules are Samba. The last is zeroconf to allow other machines on the network to tell your computer about them (it gets names, available resources, etc).

Reference from https://askubuntu.com/questions/8184/firewall-settings-for-personal-file-sharing

Hi, Harvey. Firewall is OFF on both Zorin machines, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.