Dell XPS 13-9343 Sound troubles Z OS 16 Plus Assorted Debris

:cat2: So you think your going to change your settings do ya? I don't think so buster. You leave that mouse right where it is, its mine. And stop tickling the ABS to, that clicking is driving me nuts. You think I'm funny, you think I'm cute? Look into my eyes, its your only warning. :cat2:

2 Likes

Exactly. LOL.

My other furkid!

1 Like

uhhh...

@zabadadadoo you are summoned...

Yes...But, shortly after he was summoned, he went after the Christmas turkey, which he then later learned was a mistake. As he was sent back out to the dog house to re-think his life choices.

2 Likes

I just reinstalled pulseaudio by terminal. Then full shutdown and power on again. Well, RealTek is back now. Login music is back too now. LOL.

But, I don't get the nice women speaking when I press the Test Audio buttons in system Sound Settings anymore. Other system sounds and audio on YouTube works.

What am I missing from here?

1. @StarTreker I am neither a dog, nor a turkey! :grinning:
  2. @YukKevChuHau As you have successfully proven. Sound is a mysterious beast within ZorinOS.
    Good that your sound card is now seen again. As I have mentioned on other Sound Problem threads, Alsamixer from terminal is my go-to tool to mess with sound settings and with a following wind get the music back to your ears.
    Note you have Headphones Muted.

Nothing was plugged into the combo jack nor did I have a Bluetooth headset/phones connected when the screenshot was taken. I maxed them just right now, even with nothing plugged in or BT connected, just in case.

But, I still can't get the nice lady to speak to me anymore when I press the "Test Audio" button in system sound settings, to test the sound. :sob:

What worked for me was in Alsamixer set "Loopback" = Enabled.
I have no idea why, but that got the fat lady singling "front left", "front right" for me.
Another thing to try playing with is "Automute".
One user also had success by part plugging in their headphone/mic combo jack.
Let us know if you are still suffering in silence.

How do you do this?

I tried the other methods. Lady love me no more. I still got the silent treatment. :pensive:

In terminal run Alsamixer
hit [F5] to show "All" sound channels.
Scroll accross untill you see "Loopback"
toggle it from "Disabled" to "Enabled"

Similar for "Automute" i.e. Auto-Mut, which was visible in your Asamixer Playback channels screenshot before.

I don't have the option for some reason.

Maybe my uninstalling everything pulseaudio in synaptic somehow removed the lady too?

Is that as far to the right you can go on Alsamixer?

I know it sounds nuts, but have you tried setting the volume on the Headphone channels to max?

Yup. Can't go right or left anymore.

I maxed out everything just now. No lady. :pensive:

Did you ever have sound out of your speakers?

What about when using Live USB in "Try Zorin" mode?

I've been using ZOS 16 for around two weeks.

I always had sound, until the system randomly stops detecting the audio chip, upon reboot or returning from sleep/suspend. But, always had lady talking when it the sound was working.

I only lost her after uninstalling pulseaudio upon recommendation, and after reinstalling pulseaudio when alsamixer didn't detect any audio device and not even "Dummy Audio" showed up.

Audio always worked in live boot too.

I emailed tech support today about the random sound not working above. Not the lady issue. They just told me to install pavucontrol and make sure nothing is muted. I replied back saying that not the case. Have yet to hear a reply.

Hmmm. I feel your pain.

Have you done a re-boot since reinstalling pavucontrol

At one time I was able to get the lady to sing by opening up Settings>Sound and moving the master volume control frantically min>max>min>max... I could hear a pop then Test Speakers got the lady talking.

It is all hit and miss I'm afraid, not scientific, which grates on me.

If you do get a working setting in Alsamixer, save it over reboots using:

sudo alsactl store

I powered down then back up instead now. It seems reboot sometime causes issue with sound chip not being detected.

I guess if the sound don't die on me again like in the past, I guess my lady leaving me is the best solution.

If sound dies again and she's also gone, then I have another problem. :joy:

Now you got me confused.
Do you have sound or not, regardless of Speaker Test lady singing?

Numerous other users with sound problems on Ubuntu 20.04 (same as Zorin16) here:

Issue 1:

The sound randomly dies on me. In my current experience, every two days, after reboot or returning from sleep/suspend. Either only "Dummy Output", or simply no sound even with sound chip detected. This has been going on for the last week or so.

Issue 2:

No lady starting today.

Uninstalled pulseaudio. Saw no sound devices detected. Reboot, still no sound devices. I reinstalled pulseaudio using terminal. Powered off then back on. Sound came back, but lady left.

That is about the short of it.
Kev, Pulseaudio package does not contain the lady voice. It can, however, detect the wrong output device on init. If Pulseaudio and alsamixer are both installed, then if they each have different settings, those settings can interfere with eachother.
And Pulseaudio already interferes with itself enough as it is.

To be blunt - I think you panicked and reinstalled Pusleaudio too soon, without properly testing and troubleshooting Just AlsaMixer and running it through all the paces first.