Dell XPS 13-9343 Sound troubles Z OS 16 Plus Assorted Debris

My Lenovo Thinkpad x61 is the same. There's whitelist for the WiFi module. Someone named Middleton made a custom BIOS to remove the restriction and allowed SATA 3.0Gbps from stock 1.5Gbps.

I can't flash it on Windows yet since my battery is dead. Need to figure out how to make it flash by bootable USB instead. I misplaced my external USB DVD-RW drive.

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Middleton's_BIOS

Last time I bought at Amazon, it was something like little over 10 Euro. It might be handy to have one of those if you do not have one.

FrenchPress. If your computer could talk, it would say, "FrenchPress when your all alone, you took a chance on me, you set me free" :grin:

1 Like

I should get a replacement. Wouldn't be too expensive here.

My friend has a HP Zbook 15 G2. It doesn't recognize NVMe drives in the m.2 2242 slot. It was designed for WWAN or a designated HP drive. He used a script found on a forum to force it to be read.

Manufacturers restrictions in user choice are despicable. But, EU is good in forcing them to stop it now and then.

1 Like

Yes, did you hear? Germany is forcing cellphone manufactures to start supporting their phones for up to 7-years minimum! That is totally unheard of in the US market. I cannot wait for the US to adopt that same sort of policy. Stop the dang corporations from walking all over us!

This is why I support companies like IFIXIT and Framework, cause they clearly are not in it for the GREED, they are in it for the betterment of humanity. So ya, lets get back to supporting the products we make, stop the E-waste!

If we can do that, we will be 1-step closer to self sustainability.

From my own experience, none of the laptops I bought in France has such White List restriction.

I would also like to point out there was no "warranty void if seal is broken" sticker placed on the last screw to open the back of our Acer Aspire - Japanese counterpart has this seal to discourage people to do their own repair/maintenance/upgrade.

Sadly, it is predicted that companies stop selling mobile phone directly in Germany and resort to import from other European nations. Within EU countries, it is duty free.

For this legislation to be effective, it shold be elevated to the pan-European level.

My MSI computer came with that very void of warranty sticker on screw. But joke is on MSI, cause at the time I bought this computer, it was already illegal for MSI to try and enforce that policy in my state.

And because of the great efforts that IFIXIT did, and the new policy that Biden signed into law, it is now illegal for companies to enforce that kind of wackydoodle based policy in all states of our country. We have the RIGHT TO REPAIR, and it shall not be infringed!

Thank goodness things are beginning to move in the right direction.

2 Likes
2 Likes

USA! USA!
:us_outlying_islands:

EU! EU!
:eu:
(somehow it dose not rhyme...)

1 Like

Reading that Executive Order, it does not necessarily create certain laws, but instead calls upon the FTC to draft laws.
It's a lot of legaleez though, and I am getting a headache.

In that case, I should read it. Should be interesting. Although the law degree I'm working on is from from England. :joy:

The two places are having divergent priorities these days. :joy:

1 Like

That document is huge, I reads parts of it and skimmed through others. I like that Biden acknowledged the obvious monopolies going on. I was really starting to think they hadn't noticed. Hoping for change, I really am!

And FrenchPress, if the USA and the EU joined forces, wed be unstoppable in the best parts of ourselves, become two bodies of government, working for betterment of humanity. :relaxed:

Its a dream I know, but one day we will get there.

1 Like

Oh boy. I booted into Win10 for the last day to work on my presentation slides. Got my live Zoom Mid-Module Assessment for Company Law in 16 hours.

Booted back into Zorin just now. System detects the Realtek ALC3263 as "Built-In Audio". I didn't realize it didn't work until I launched Zoom to try to test the audio and mic. It detected audio system problem.

Finally sent Zorin a support email about the sound issue and any way to easily get 2nd display on Android with extended desktop.

I should just use Win10 tomorrow for my Zoom mid-module assessment, just in case. :rofl:

Make sure you check your sound input/output devices in Pulse Audio. Make sure the right ones are set that you are using, and that you have the volume levels set as well.

1 Like

There were times the device isn't even detected. How do I set volume on undetected device? Also, I never have the volume muted or low enough to not hear it. The mic also didn't work and wasn't muted.

Plus, I shouldn't have to need to re-choose audio device on boot up each time as I don't have any other audio device on the system.

This is getting kinda annoying.

I also noticed it happens too when I sometimes directly reboot from Win10, or vice versa. It happens too when I reboot from ZOS16 to Win10. Full shutdown on either, then powering up and the sound is correctly detected.

I guess I'll just full shutdown from now on.

We feel your pain...
Do you have both Pulseaudio and Alsamixer installed?

Yup. Both are installed.

I would encourage you to try out a complete removal of Pulseaudio and using only alsamixer. Test if that helps.

1 Like

Just removed pulseaudio and rebooted. Now this. :joy:

It previously showed the RealTek name as 2nd device. Now, no longer.

1 Like