Detect a specific disk before installation

I am not sure if that question has been answered by anyone above.

It is best to have Windows already installed and then install ZorinOS alongside Windows as a dual-boot if that is the intention.

1 Like

I actually do not understand the question.
When you choose "Install alongside...", the Ubiquity installer sets Zorin OS up on the partition. You do not have the option (The partition manager does not open) to set the partition.
So I am confused as to what happened with your install if you were able to change the partition using that method.

In one device, the option to install appears next to it, and in another device, the option does not appear because there is a problem with booting the Windows system

I understood that the option to install next to it should appear, but I chose the second option, and then I did the above. My question is, did I lose the partition?

@337harvey , do you have any insight into this? I appear to be having a lot of trouble following the linear progression of this one.

Ok... you have two disks, one contains your system partition, the other seems to be a data partition.

Let's clarify things a little. Boot your zorin live image and choose try. Hit the super button (win key) and type gparted. If it's not installed, press ctrl+alt+t. This opens the terminal. Type sudo apt install gparted. Open that up, it will default to your first disk (upper right corner, drop down box). Get a screenshot of both disks.

I believe you are in legacy mode or they are formatted as MBR. I might be wrong, but having logical volumes is an indicator.

If so, you want to Convert the drive to GPT.

The is a windows tool to do this (MBRtoGPT.exe).

Ensure you have backups of any important data.

I refer you to the Partition & Install which is detailed. Read through it, ask questions, then try. Make sure to do the Before You Install prior to installing zorin.

Once we get these partitions figured out it will go much easier.

Ignore the issue of installing disk next to Windows. I want an answer, on the other side of my question assuming I only want to install Zorin

I will do what you said but my question was something else as Windows does not work due to a defect before proceeding to install Zorin

I ran the trial version in English, and some sections appear in Arabic. It's strange

sda1 the system
sda 5 Storage unit New
sda4 files and images

If you attempted an installation but aborted, this could cause the issue with windows because the installer may overwrite the windows boot manager. This is recoverable, but moot if you intend to install zorin. Zorin installer will place grub at the beginning of the drive, and have an option to boot into windows.

If you did not disable Windows fast boot, along with the bios fast boot, you may have inadvertently corrupted the boot partition.

Above you show two internal disks in the disks application. Here, you show a thumbdrive and internal disk in gparted.

While in windows, computer management, disk management, you can right click the partition, select properties and add a label while the drives are mounted. This will help you a lot.

Your OP is about not being able to determine what partitions are, not that there is a boot error in windows.

The UTF encoding of the drive labels may be misinterpreted if the disk is damaged or a shutdown occurred during the writing. Hard reboots can cause such artifacts as well, since it doesn't allow the hard drive to cease operation prior to losing power.

I converted the sda2 partition from NTFS to ext4, and the user changed from it, and when I corrected the wrong action, the usage size changed. Did I delete the data ?

When trying to rearrange the sections and create a section, this note appears, and I do not want to delete any section

The disk is MBR. That is another issue in itself (as I mentioned previously). You can change a primary partition to a logical partition (like the data partition) without losing data.

When you format a partition, you erase the area that indicated what all was in that partition. The data still exists, but you need special software to recover the table that held all the information for that partition and it will take a long time, even with a fast computer.

There is no undo once you click the green check apply button. If you didn't, and closed the window it did not write the operation (Linux gparted acts this way, windows disk manager does not). Close out gparted and reopen it... it shouldn't have changed, if this is the application you used to make that change.

In gparted, nothing actually changes until you hit the green check (apply button).

On any of the partitions that don't contain bootable info, say sda4, you can click it's name, click the cog, expand flags and uncheck boot.

After each change I recommend applying that change. This will help ensure that each modification happens as it should and you don't get ahead of yourself.

Where do you want the 83GB of unallocated? Is that too be added to your Linux partition, Linux data partition... it will matter where it is depending on what you plan for it.

Moving space and partitions is difficult and should be determined now before you do anything else.

This is your drive with your data. Don't get impatient or you very well may lose everything on it.

Why doesn't the install option appear next to Windows even though I have an operating system on the device?

This is because your risk is set to MBR and all of the primary (bootable) partitions are consumed. The data partition doesn't need to be bootable, so remove that flag as I outlined above and you'll get the option. This will most likely only use the unallocated 83gb though. Use something else as outlined in Partition & Install but not before performing Before You Install