Discussing Old gpu installation thread

Nvidia released a beta driver yesterday. Kernel 2.6.32 is out of support and the driver requires kernel 3.10 or up. The good thing is most linux distro's use a much higher version so there is nothing to worry about.

Version 495.29.05 Release Highlights:

Added support for the GBM API. This adds the new symlink nvidia-drm_gbm.so pointing to the file libnvidia-allocator.so.VERSION to implement a GBM backend driver usable with the GBM loader from the Mesa project version 21.2 and above, as well as the files libnvidia-egl-gbm.so.1.1.0 and 15_nvidia_gbm.json, which implement EGL support for the GBM platform (EGL_KHR_platform_gbm).
Add indicator for Resizable BAR support on compatible systems.
Fixed a bug that could cause the X server to crash when starting a new server generation on PRIME configurations.
Removed support for NvIFROpenGL. This functionality was deprecated in the 470.xx driver release.
Removed libnvidia-cbl.so from the driver package. This functionality is now provided by other driver libraries.
Changed the minimum required Linux kernel version from 2.6.32 to 3.10.
Updated nvidia.ko to load even if no supported NVIDIA GPUs are present when an NVIDIA NVSwitch device is detected in the system. Previously, nvidia.ko would fail to load into the kernel if no supported GPUs were present.
1 Like

Well, that tears it. Now what am I going to do?

2 Likes

!!!!!!UPGRADE!!!!!!! :open_mouth: :star_struck: :smiley: :sunglasses:

<Dances around the room throwing hands up>
Celebrate!

2 Likes

1 Like

Reinstall DOS

1 Like

Funny people you guys are haha, just thought i share something.

1 Like

Can I do that from Terminal?

Yes we are funny........loookin :crazy_face:

@Aravisian I believe you can do almost anything from terminal. Maybe not a Linux terminal in this case though.

1 Like

It doesn't take much for us lot to fork a thread, even without the aid of @FrenchPress on this particular occassion :grin:

5 Likes

It don't take much for me to fork a turkey either on Thanksgiving. I tell ya, baked at 350 for 8-hours, stick a fork en em, he's done. Gobble Gobble! :turkey:

@StarTreker, i installed the driver on my test drive haha :stuck_out_tongue:

What is interesting to me, is how they totally skipped over several version numbers, 470 all the way to 492 lol. Nice to know that it is working for you though. Your going to have to test it in all your games, not just the OS though just to be sure its working without major issues.

Yeah some games indeed, first i try it on the test drive to make sure i don't have to mess with the current system. Now i am going to install it on my current system.

@Aravisian @337harvey @StarTreker, does any of you know if Zorin OS can use systemctl ? If yes then the tutorial can be modified again

1 Like

Definitely yes.

1 Like

If i am not wrong then zorin os users can use the pop os instructions as well.

Reading the O.P. yes, it could be. No terminal commands in the O.P. are anything not applicable to Zorin OS.

1 Like

Maybe i should create a new thread, with photo details as well

You could edit the O.P. if you feel the need to... The Zorin OS instructions are still applicable the same, either way.

I can't because it's editied 25 times. After the 25 edits you can't edit anymore. Maybe @AZorin or @zorink can change this limit ?