Doubt on update zorin 16 stable release

Though again, there's something special to flash that you bought the ultimate Edition, but that's just me :stuck_out_tongue:
I myself going to get the ultimate edition of 16 and do a fresh install, but I can do all the settings, apps, commands etc. in my head - a blessing and a curse :smiley:

1 Like

You are absolutely right about that point :exclamation:
I have one USB key dedicated for notes and installers related to setup and configuration. But now I think I should also add a list of customization I made as well.

Great thing about Zorin is that it is almost perfect aesthetically and functionally without much customization :heart:

Hi Storm,
you must be one of those talented people who have a "photographic memory". I envy you!
Being a mere mortal with feeble memory, I will follow the advice of zabadabadoo and make a list before re-installation.

You are not alone!
I am also getting a feeling of something special about purchasing Zorin. It gives me a feeling of satisfaction which is very different from just making a donation which I have been doing for several open source projects.

1 Like

This is great news, I have been testing the beta exclusively from a Live USB bc I wasn't sure if that was going to be the case. Would it be fair to assume that the update you mention comes at the same time the stable is released?

Did you have to wait for this update or did it come alongside the stable release?

Oh boy, I will some installing to do this weekend!

Presumably, though the beta testers properly get it earlier (as download), before the new .iso hits the server(s).

1 Like

That was some time ago to remember. I think the Beta just updated continuously into what was then announced and released as the production version.

1 Like

Sweet, I will get my machine ready then.

Hopefully by now the Beta has most of its issues fixed and is good enough for daily use. Last when I tested it, it was very smooth, but there some minor bugs here and there.

I can guarantee you that it would be a smooth sail. I have been using it for some time on my production machine and never had a single major issue :slight_smile:
It is the most stable beta version I've ever used!

1 Like

Same here. But again I handpick my hardware that are 100% linux compatible/supported.

1 Like

Some years ago, when I built my main desktop, I optimized it for OSX - I wanted to create a upgradable/repairable mac. The most tricky par was to select graphics card and wireless modul compatible with OSX.

Now I came back to Linux, I noticed that the same thing apply for Linux. Graphics card and network module are legendary Achilles's heal.

While I can easily open up a desktop chassis or even a laptop to swap the parts, I understand that it is not for everyone - well, at least not for my husband :wink:

Don't forget the sound card. We see many problems with sound. I am somewhat glad I am not the only one who has had those issues personally, but would be good if they were non-existent, or at least responded to logical diagnosis and not a referral to mystic meg (or the lump hammer).

1 Like

You are absolutely right. I totally forgot about sound card.

In fact, I gave up using internal sound card years ago and resorting to USB DAC just to avoid driver issue for both OSX and Linux. Low end USB DAC is less than 2 Euro - not a bad expense to avoid sound card issue.

1 Like

@Aravisian I assume you "liked" that bit of my post. :smiley:

Actually, I was just noting agreement about mentioning the Sound Card as another Achilles heel.

1 Like

misery loves company :grin:

I am new to this forum so I don't know how to post, hence this query in a reply. Hope someone answers my "pre-sale" question.
I want to buy Zorin Ultimate but I want a version with Wine pre-installed. I also would like a list of tested compatible tible printer/scanners that work seamlessly with Zorin, so I can buy the inkjet printer and not waste my money on Amazon on a printer that does not work with Zorin linux specifically. Kindly advise please,so I can place my order with confidence. Y0ur distro looks amazing. ;-)Thanks.

On the Forum top page, click on a button (on the right) "+ New Topic"

All versions comes with "Software" with a button to install Wine. All you need to do is click on the button.

HP printers are very well supported in Linux.
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing

thanks for your reply.When will zorin 16 be out of beta. I want a stable edition.
As far as your low "shareware" price for Ultimate, I suggest it be be changed to $99.00 for a lifetime license;- the same price as Windows 10 Home on Amazon, where you should also sell your distro on a USB pen drive with printer drivers and Wine preinstalled for DOS-hating Windows users making the switch. The existing "free" versions of Zorin can be offered using the "freemium" model for $39. In other words they will be "Home/Student" editions, while Ultimate will be the "Pro version (with extended support) for $99. thanks.

This is not how FOSS works.

3 Likes

@pjp5 Zorin have a package called "Windows App Support" which you should find listed in the Software centre. That includes Wine and Play-on-Linux to aid people to run Windows apps on ZorinOS.
Whilst that was written initially at time of Z15, I expect it is still valid for Z16.
See this: