Doubts on How to set a third-party desktop theme

Hi everybody! First of all I'd like to introduce myself . I am a new old forum user ; ) . I am not using Zorin as my main OS, I have 15.3 installed on virtual machine and on my best friend computer's. And I am also proud to say I had the honour to work over Swarffendor (sorry mate if I am spelling it wrong) "unofficial zorin 12X manual" work , translating it into spanish , even the pictures;). In those day my user name was "pcfan" and I am sorry to say I lost my work for that project and also removed it from "G" the drive. So unless someone else saved it , it got lost. Having said this, I would like to congratulate the team for its great effort in putting together this forum. I loved the "forumbot chat" :wink: and getting the level of trusty. It is very dynamic algorithm , fresh and modern.
Second, I would like to apologize in advance if I make any spelling mistakes. English isn't my native language. Here is my question, I am trying to install -on virtual machine - new themes (windows and bar colours) on my Zorin 15.3 lite (xfce), would this guide work for me?:
https://forum.zorin.com/t/how-to-set-a-third-party-desktop-theme/4348
In case it wouldn't. Could you please point me in a right direction?
Thanks to all. Regards!! :smiley:

1 Like

'eyyy PCfan. ...err... Zfan. Good to see you again and welcome to the New Forum.

That guide is perfectly fine for getting third party themes set up. I do it a little bit differently: I create the /.themes folder and /.icons folder directly in /home/$USER instead of in /home/$USER/.local/share/themes or /home/$USER/.local/share/icons

It just makes it a little bit faster and easier to access if you change out or create themes a lot like I do.

1 Like

Hi! I will try it and come back.
My idea is to install Zorin as default OS in my computer, but this time, I will try everything on virtual box first.
Currently I am under Mint xfce, but sometimes it gets tilt. This is my specs:
Preformatted text Kernel: 5.4.0-81-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Xfce 4.14.1 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-2450M bits: 64 type: MT MCP
L2 cache: 3072 KiB
Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 798
3: 798 4: 798
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1366x768~60Hz, 1360x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 3000 (SNB GT2)
v: 3.3 Mesa 20.0.8
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 346.92 GiB (74.5%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT500MX500SSD1 size: 465.76 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 27.44 GiB used: 13.22 GiB (48.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-2: /home size: 430.39 GiB used: 333.70 GiB (77.5%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/sda4
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 268 Uptime: 8h 11m Memory: 7.68 GiB used: 3.31 GiB (43.1%)
Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.32Preformatted text

I am sorry but I don't know how to use the former (code) tool.

The new Zorin Forum uses the Discourse forum software - the Post Text relies on Markdown Language instead of the phbb format.

off topic: thanks , I am hopping to find a tutorial on how to apply Preformatted text, should I select the text first and then apply?

I would like to tell you that I did as suggested. Thank you. The good news is some (very few) of the themes and icons worked :stuck_out_tongue:
I 've dowloaded from XFCE/XFWM4 Themes - pling.com the ones related to xfce/xfwm4 , Have I done well? can I download the ones for GTK ? ( I ask this because I am under zorin lite).
By the way I found and old topic on the old forum where we spoke about this and about xfce version. :slight_smile:

For Zorin OS 15.3 Lite, you will need XFCE themes that are for XFCE 4.14 or up.
If they were not working, they may have been formatted to XFCE 4.12.

XFCE 4.12 was still using gtk2, no gtk3. XFCE 4.14 changed over to gtk3.

2 Likes

Thank you!!
I would like to set this topic as "solved" but don't know how

2 Likes

Click the Solution button on the post that helped you the most.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.