Downloading Normal Files

Hi all! I hope you can assist. I'm dual booting Pro. For some reason, in the last week and a half or so, I can't download a normal PDF, or picture, or most anything. Also, when I right click and the pull down menu pops up, scrolling through the choices is really, really slow. I'm not having this problem on the Windows side, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. I look forward to hearing your ideas!

1 Like

One quick thing you could try would be to boot from previous kernel, incase you have had a linux kernel update that is problematic.
From grub screen menu, select "Advanced Options for Zorin", then select the previous kernel version listed.
If that does not improve things, report back.

2 Likes

Also, please post your Graphics Card information.

1 Like

Hi! This helped...but as soon as I booted in normally again, without selecting the previous kernel, the problem returned.

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 11th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 01)
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 01)
0000:00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP Dynamic Tuning Processor Participant (rev 01)
0000:00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation RST VMD Managed Controller
0000:00:07.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #0 (rev 01)
0000:00:0a.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Tigerlake Telemetry Aggregator Driver (rev 01)
0000:00:0d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 USB Controller (rev 01)
0000:00:0d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 NHI #0 (rev 01)
0000:00:0e.0 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation Volume Management Device NVMe RAID Controller
0000:00:12.0 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Integrated Sensor Hub (rev 20)
0000:00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 xHCI Host Controller (rev 20)
0000:00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Shared SRAM (rev 20)
0000:00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (rev 20)
0000:00:15.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 20)
0000:00:15.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 20)
0000:00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Management Engine Interface (rev 20)
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP LPC Controller (rev 20)
0000:00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller (rev 20)
0000:00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP SMBus Controller (rev 20)
0000:00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP SPI Controller (rev 20)
10000:e0:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 11th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (rev 01)
10000:e1:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: KIOXIA Corporation NVMe SSD Controller BG4

Have you tried @zabadabadoo 's suggestion of booting a previously known to be working kernel?
Yes, the Iris XE Graphics are... finicky...

1 Like

You mean that's so slow that can't download it in reasonable times or not at all?

Is it only that action that's slow or it's a system-wide slowdown?

The downloads fail. Regarding the pulldowns, no, I really don't see any other abnormalities. Just those pulldown lags and download failures.

1 Like

[quote="LauderDave, post:4, topic:24667"]
This helped...but as soon as I booted in normally again, without selecting the previous kernel, the problem returned.

1 Like

[quote="LauderDave, post:9, topic:24667"]
This helped...but as soon as I booted in normally again, without selecting the previous kernel, the problem returned.

1 Like

Please see here:

2 Likes

Ok, so this seemed to work. Then, when the new kernel came out, ending in .60, I decided to try the new kernel, and it's been working spectacularly for several weeks. So, I would have to say that this is solved! I'm guessing some systems may just have weird conflicts with new kernels upon release?

2 Likes

The kernel is really a Large Set of Hardware Drivers.
So, yes. Changing drivers can work - or not work... depending on the drivers.
The idea, in principle, should be that installing newer drivers should retain all of the old and only add new functions or additions for newer hardware.
In practice, however, driver packagers really Live by the Idea of reducing the old and trying to cut out anything that they feel like should no longer be needed. This can cause regressions (oops).
And sometimes, something needs a patch - but the patch introduced a new error (oops again). And the next patched driver fixes that last oops...
That's computing.

2 Likes

Hi! I'm back. Sorry, lol. Now, I can't download files at times with Chrome, but I have no problem downloading the same files with Firefox. Basic pdf's, nothing fancy. And, it seems to go in phases. I'll have no problem for a while, then I won't be able to download a thing for a spell. I uninstalled Chrome via the terminal, and reinstalled it the same way, but it didn't change the situation permanantly. Any thoughts?

Sorry for adding my two cents. I would recommend changing browsers in general. Edge/Firefox/Brave/Duck Duck go would be preferrable - I use all for their specific needs as many have issues with Chrome and its Privacy-Hungry information gathering. I use all and converted 3 of my computers to Zorin OS from Win10/Win11.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.