Edimax 600 WiFi adapter help

I think it's Zorin! Ubuntu sees my Edimax 600 adapter as a 8212 and works. Zorin 16 says it might work with that driver, but doesn't. They must really screw up Ubuntu reworking it! I want to buy Pro, but I don't want to waste the money if I'm going to have basic issues with a wireless driver. It should be auto and be online as soon as I install it, like Windows 10.

A post was split to a new topic: [How to] install Edimax 600 WiFi driver

You guys are warped with moderator's magic wand
:star2:
to the new thread since the original thread was a question regarding a different WiFi module.

2 Likes

Great tutorial :100:
I think this should be in the Tutorial section to have more exposure.
Shall I move it there for you?

2 Likes

ok sure, keep in mind I never tried it.

1 Like

Which Ubuntu version works? Do you recall which kernel?
Many wifi adapter drivers are included in the Ubuntu kernel. Zorin OS is currently using 5.11, which is the Hirsute Hippo Ubuntu kernel. Ubuntu 20.04 is using the 5.8 kernel.
Rolling back the kernel on Zorin OS may solve your problem.

1 Like

Won't rolling back the kernel might also cause other problems? Just asking I'm dumb

Only if the user is running the absolute latest hardware.

1 Like

I had many issues rolling back the kernel or switching to a newer kernel manually. Personally, I'd rather install the drivers because changing the kernel can add other issues.

1 Like

Yes, it can. But as the user has noted that the 5.8 is a known working kernel, it is the best way to proceed.
A person can struggle just as much changing the drivers.

1 Like

Is it that hard? The tutorial not detailed, should I rewrite?

I am basing my response on Togroks statements. When a person has done an installation or configuration several times, it gets easy. But when it is still new and unfamiliar, sometimes you want to help them resolve in more straight-forward steps. Your tutorial is fine. But in this case, Togrok has noted a clue in the difference between Zorin OS 16 and Ubuntu (20.04?) that sets a clear direction.
It's worth attempting One Method.
If that doesn't work out, we can try other things.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.