Fingerprint scanner Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5

Hi! I just installed ZorinOS on my new Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 and there is no way to setup fingerprint scanner. Is there any way to fix this?

Welcome to the Forum!

Maybe this could help You:

If you do a search here on the forum using "lenovo fingerprint" you will find several discussions and this other Tutorial that may help you.

I tried typing sudo apt install libfprint-2-tod1-goodix, but then i got this in my terminal: E: Unable to locate package libfprint-2-tod1-goodix . Sorry, but I'm pretty new to ZorinOS and linux in general :slight_smile: ... Can anyone help?

Not neccessary to excuse. You use Zorin 17 Core? It would be good if You could add this to Your Profile and post it here.

When you use Z17 Core it must be libfprint-2-tod1 it seems that they changed the Package Name. If You should prefer a graphical Interface to install You could use Synaptic instead of the Terminal. You can install it with the command sudo apt install synaptic

But You don't have to do. You can use the Terminal, too with the Command sudo apt install libfprint-2-tod1

Hi, fingerprint readers are usually assigned a usb address. Please open a terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal) and enter:

lsusb

and post back the output please.
Also please bear in mind Lenovo builds for that other OS. A lot of hardware has had to be reverse engineered in the past to get things to work in GNU/Linux. Back in the '90s we could not even use DVD-ROMs until a 16-year-old Swedish teenager wrote code for such hardware to work in GNU/Linux, and was put under house arrest following complaints from hardware manufacturers for breach of patents! If your fingerprint reader is not compatible with the Linux kernel you would need to purchase a USB fingerprint reader from https://thinkpenguin.com if you feel you need it.

This is my output:
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 06cb:00be Synaptics, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 5986:212a Acer, Inc Integrated Camera
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 8087:0aaa Intel Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Kooks like there is no indication of a fingerprint reader bases on that output. Please run:

sudo lshw

See if you can spot the line with the details of the manufacturer of the fingerprint reader and post back the hex code, or alternatively, run the hw-probe tool from linux-hardware.org.

Maybe this?; *-usb:1 UNCLAIMED description: Generic USB device vendor: Synaptics, Inc. physical id: 8 bus info: usb@3:8 version: 0.00 serial: 5b7319d87336 capabilities: usb-2.00 configuration: maxpower=100mA speed=12Mbit/s

Hi, it is possible but I would have thought this was the touchpad. However, unclaimed means there is no driver in the Linux kernel for whatever device this is. If all other USB elements on your device work, then it might be safe to say that this is your fingerprint reader. Your only alternative, if you feel the need for such a device:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/optical-usb-fingerprint-reader-gnulinux-edition-tpe-f4500

It's not cheap!

An alternative to consider is to use Yubi keys as an alternative.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=385083

Nah, it is okay! I can live without fingerprint scanner! :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help!

1 Like