Fingerprint sensor for a Dell 13 XPS 9365 - Validity VFS7552

Hi I have this machine running 16.2 and the following is listed via lsusb:-

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:5690 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Integrated_Webcam_HD
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 138a:0091 Validity Sensors, Inc. VFS7552 Touch Fingerprint Sensor
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0a2b Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Looks like this is supported for libfprint on gitlab in 2021.

However I cannot see the option to do fingerprints and have followed this help guide already

Did a websearch for you using "Validity Sensors, Inc. VFS7552 Touch Fingerprint Sensor Ubuntu 20.04"

Found: Install Validity fingerprint Sensors Linux tools on Ubuntu using the Snap Store | Snapcraft

I don't have a fingerprint sensor myself, so can't check. Maybe it will be of some use to you, otherwise continue to websearch and see if anything better appears.

Thanks I did try that already and my specific model is not covered by the utility. Actually I did try probing and uploading my machine to a linux HW database HW probe of Dell XPS 13 9365 #b65d5ce654
Looks like NO ONE has managed to get this device to work according to this database.

However what puzzles me is this post on the Dell forums which indicates there is support in Debian

I see that is marked "unstable", so I guess it is not yet put through to a Ubuntu LTS and thereby ZorinOS.
If you are desperate for that functionality you may be restricted to bleeding edge linux distros and all the fun of the fair that goes with them. Otherwise, just have to sit and wait.

1 Like

how / where did you see this "unstable" state? My machine is like 5 years old I think so not sure chance it will ever be addressed?

The Link through from Dell forums, but I may have been misled as there are stable, testing and unstable listed.

However, Re Ubuntu 20.04 and ZorinOS 16, this tells same story:

indeed the askubuntu article is over 2 years old and aligned to 20.04 - which I understand Zorin 16.2 is based on. Perhaps when Zorin moves to 22.04 I'll be sorted I think. Looks like this sensor support is in v1.92.0of libfprint and 20.04 only goes upto v1.90 according to this

Any timeframes for 22.04 based Zorin?

Devs saying late 2023.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.