Firewall settings unresponsive

Hey guys,

I'm having a minor/major issue with the setting's (gufw I believe) firewall, as it is simply not accessible. If I click on "Configure firewall" I am prompted to enter my password (Very sure it is correct :smiley: No "Wrong password messages there" for instance, also made it visible to double check like 10 times), then the password prompt disappears, but the firewall settings don't open up, just nothing happens :man_shrugging:

As I'm not at all familiar with linux processes: Is there anything I can just shut down or restart in order to make it work? I'd really need to allow a port in there, so that's why it's minor/major :sweat_smile:

Everything I've done so far is to reboot my computer. Twice, no dice.

Best wishes!

Or is there another place where I can access the firewall's settings, rather than from Zorin settings?

I also searched a bit and tried:

ll *gufw*
ls: cannot access '*gufw*': No such file or directory

Can you try

sudo apt install --reinstall ufw gufw

Hey there,

yeah, that's what I basically just did manually. Any time I enter gufw from console I'd get this error message

donatus@LinuxxDanceMachine:~$ gufw
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/gufw/gufw/gufw.py", line 21, in <module>
    from gufw.view.gufw  import Gufw
  File "/usr/share/gufw/gufw/gufw/view/gufw.py", line 18, in <module>
    import gi
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gi'

Any ideas? Thank you for hopping in once again <3

Oh and ofc I entered your line as well hehe

Try:

sudo apt install --reinstall python3-gi

Did that, no change.

However, now that you're saying python, I had a terrible try on installing a python based program recently. Maybe I broke something really bad? Is there any way to completely reinstall python 3? Or let's say clean install it?

Please don't ask me what I was trying to do, just firing code I didn't understand :see_no_evil: :joy:

1 Like

Maybe... python can be tricky...
Let's try Simple First:

sudo apt install -y python3

It said that python3 is already at the latest version

There are many aspects of Linux that a user can play around with, explore and test. But Python is not one of them. Python is a very sensitive bit all on its own...

Yes, I see up to 3.10 on there. It's not going to work.
3.8 is as high as it can usably go.

3 Likes

:cry:

I think I now by now, too dumb :frowning:

Acrunch... How do ya feel about backing up all personal files and reinstalling? :grin:

2 Likes

Holy mother of god, no, nooo, please don't do this to me :frowning: I have a media server running on here with several 100TB of storage and millions of bits of metadata working together :weary: Isn't there a slightly less...drastic option? :crying_cat_face:

NOT the best place to try testing out Python on.:neutral_face:

2 Likes

Believe me man, I wouldn't have done anything comparable earlier if I knew this would be the outcome :weary:

So no other options available for me you say? :confused:

How did you install 3.9 and 3.10?

I just searched for the guides I was using and I think I installed it this way.

Just let me know if I'd really need to reinstall everything. It's like waiting at the doctor for test results haha

I checked my system directory for etc/python
Screenshot from 2021-12-07 01-40-53

This is the default python in Zorin16.

1 Like