Fractional scaling is laggy

When dragging windows, its like the window is chopped into 5 parts and then being dragged weirdly. Happens at most fractional scaling options.

Zorin OS 16
Lenovo Yoga 370

Greetings,
Can you please give us the output of the second command? It will tell us about your system.

sudo apt install inxi
inxi -Faz

Oh, I think you have screen tearing. I assume also system animations are disabled on your system (i.e. when you try to snap a window to a corner, does it happen smoothly or no animations plays at all?). Please tell us your system specifications because the procedure is different for different CPU/GPU manufacturers. But assuming you have an Intel CPU+Nvidia GPU combo, you can try following the steps found here.
Also can you please confirm that the screen tearing does not happen when you have fractional scaling disabled?

Lenovo Yoga 370, Intel Core i5 Gen 7, Intel HD 620 graphics, no nVidia here.

Yes screen tearing doesn't happen if fractional scaling is disabled.

I left Zorin OS 16 @Storm however I can give exact laptop specs though.

Lenovo Yoga 370
Resolution: 1920x1080 13.3 inch display, touch and pen supported
CPU: Intel i5-7300U (4) @ 3.500GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 620
8GB RAM
70GB Linux Partition

This is a widely reported issue but funnily enough, this does not occur on KDE Neon(both on Xorg and Wayland)

@sirsean try switching the desktop environment to Wayland. The screen tearing does not occur there. You can switch it from the login screen, there is an option to use Wayland. Try Wayland and if you don't encounter issues there, you can use that.

A thread on screen tearing in Z16:

I switched to KDE Plasma distros after learning this, but I also tried other gnome distros (Ubuntu, Pop) and they have it too. It seems to be a gnome thing.

2 Likes