Fresh install Zorin OS 16 no Wifi

I am using the lite version. Just installed on DELL Latitude D630. When I enter the first command I get:

E: Unable to locate package build-essential
E: Package 'git' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'dkms' has no installation candidate

OS is not detecting any wifi.

These are because the system cannot connect to the net.

Can you relay the output of

sudo lshw -c network

Wifi Product and Vendor are the things we are looking for.

Here is the output:

pbvivier@pbvivier-Latitude-D630:~$ sudo lshw -c network
[sudo] password for pbvivier:
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
logical name: wlp12s0
version: 02
serial: 00:1b:77:a9:c0:3d
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 driverversion=5.4.0-45-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:28 memory:fe8ff000-fe8fffff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
vendor: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
logical name: enp9s0
serial: 00:1c:23:0b:a1:a8
size: 1Gbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.137 duplex=full firmware=5755m-v3.29 ip=192.168.8.120 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
resources: irq:29 memory:fe7f0000-fe7fffff
p

During the installation, did you select to not install third party drivers?

1 Like

I guess you and i are on the same page from 2018 :joy:, i wanted to ask the same question haha.

Which page?

I did select to install third party drivers but was not connected to internet. I will re-install with ethernet connected.

1 Like

Well look at that... but no... We've just been down that road before here on this forum, too.

Already knew that the Intel Pro Wireless is secure in the kernel; just as well know that the RTL 8821CE is ever-broken...

The only other thing I have open is some Graphical Work.

2 Likes

Hi Aravisian,

I re-install the lite version and was able to execute these commands. But with no effect.

My latest output from sudo lshw -c network:

pbvivier@pbvivier-Latitude-D630:~$ sudo lshw -c network
[sudo] password for pbvivier:
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
logical name: wlp12s0
serial: 00:1b:77:a9:c0:3d
width: 32 bits
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 driverversion=5.4.0-91-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:25 memory:fe8ff000-fe8fffff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
vendor: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
logical name: enp9s0
serial: 00:1c:23:0b:a1:a8
size: 1Gbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.137 duplex=full firmware=5755m-v3.29 ip=192.168.8.120 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
resources: irq:26 memory:fe7f0000-fe7fffff

After doing sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kelebek333/kablosuz I get these errors:

Err:20 Index of /stable/ bionic Release
Certificate verification failed: The certificate is NOT trusted. The certificate chain uses expired certificate. Could not handshake: Error in the certificate verification. [IP: 138.68.36.163 443]
Err:21 Index of /patches/ bionic Release
Certificate verification failed: The certificate is NOT trusted. The certificate chain uses expired certificate. Could not handshake: Error in the certificate verification. [IP: 138.68.36.163 443]
Err:22 Index of /apps/ bionic Release
Err:23 Index of /drivers/ bionic Release
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'Index of /stable/ bionic Release' no longer has a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
E: The repository 'Index of /patches/ bionic Release' no longer has a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
E: The repository 'Index of /apps/ bionic Release' no longer has a Release file.
E: The repository 'Index of /drivers/ bionic Release' no longer has a Release file.

After doing sudo apt update && sudo apt install rtl8188fu-dkms I get these errors:

Err:14 Index of /stable/ bionic Release
Err:15 Index of /patches/ bionic Release
Err:16 Index of /apps/ bionic Release
Err:17 Index of /drivers/ bionic Release
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'Index of /stable/ bionic Release' no longer has a Release file.
E: The repository 'Index of /patches/ bionic Release' no longer has a Release file.
E: The repository 'Index of /apps/ bionic Release' no longer has a Release file.
E: The repository 'Index of /drivers/ bionic Release' no longer has a Release file.

Is secure boot disabled ?

1 Like

yes it is disabled. Should I enable it on installation?

sudo apt install --reinstall ca-certificates

Looks like the ethernet is no longer shown as unclaimed...

1 Like

thank you very much, wifi is working.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.